Beware of Snatch Thief- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    While walking back to our hotel after dinner one night in Kuala Lumpur, Kim spotted this really great sign. I was really tired and not paying much attention. Good thing Kim was on the lookout!
    When Kim pointed out the sign, it more or less woke me up. I stopped for a couple of minutes to take some photos and had a good laugh about it. I'd guess that most of us would get the point of the sign based on the awesome graphic.
    [​IMG]
    Luckily, right below the sign was another sign. On it was an explanation of what the picture above meant. The sign had the meaning in both Malaysian and English! Perfect, it's not like I would understand anything written in Malay!

The message on the sign in English was "Beware of snatch thief" and in Malay it said "Berhati-hati dengan peragut".

I decided to look up the message written in Malay with Google Translate. I wanted to see how closely the words were translated into English. I assumed there had to be a better definition than beware of snatch thief!

I went to Google Translate and got a very different answer. Google said that berhati-hati dengan peragut meant careful grazing.
    I would love to know how the sign went from meaning careful grazing to beware of snatch thief?

Either way, I think that we all get the message and will be careful grazing and take precaution to beware of snatch thief if visiting Kuala Lumpur!

(originally posted on my blog here)

sobore, uggboy, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.
  2. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    [[​IMG]

Either way, I think that we all get the message and will be careful grazing and take precaution to beware of snatch thief if visiting Kuala Lumpur!

I would have to add "beware everywhere you travel" I had a bag snatched in Bali. Yes, wonderfull peacefull Bali. I was on a bicycle and he road a motor bike.

3. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just. Wow... What do you say to that warning? There are a few gay bars I go to that would be hilarious to put this up in. But then that also begs the question, why is the woman in the sign topless?

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:

uggboy and macbookguy like this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why my reply was blank. We were in Bali right before coming to KL. the people in Bali were so friendly & nice as could be. However you always have to be careful & never get too comfortable...

sobore, uggboy and macbookguy like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

uggboy and macbookguy like this.
  7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my amateur Malay take:

Berhati-hati - action/intransitive verb form of "be careful," which is "hati-hati" (in a cute twist, "hati" means heart, so "be cautious!" literally becomes "heart heart!")
    dengan - "with"
    peragut - does mean "snatch theft," but it's a newish term. The root word is ragut, which is to tug, to pull hard, or yes, to graze; this probably explains your result.

Berhati-hati (and "dengan") have the same meanings in Indonesian as they do in Malay. If you drove around Bali, you probably passed roadwork (whether in progress or stalled) marked with signs that began with "Berhati-hati."

And just to show that I'm more than a pedant, here's a joke my niece told me today: Why did the chicken cross the playground? To get to the other slide. Good night.

uggboy, MLW20 and Mikus33 like this.