Beware of getting used/abused by Hyatt on Diamond Challenge

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by shipex, Nov 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. shipex

shipex Member

Status Points:
    So I did the Hyatt Diamond Challenge this October, which meant staying 12 nights at Hyatt properties in two months. I did this, including 2 nights at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, which comes up in booking results for Hyatt hotels on the Hyatt website. Unbelievably, they removed my Diamond challenge status after the challenge period because they claim that the Bellagio doesn't count for the Diamond challenge (as someone who books hotels exclusively online, the fact that it appears bookable on the Hyatt website would seem to mean that it 'counts' as a Hyatt hotel). I called in to Hyatt GoldPassport and they are actually sticking by their decision to remove Diamond status, even though I've continued to stay at Hyatt since completing the challenge and have spent thousands of dollars there this fall. Obviously, I'll be taking my money elsewhere and cancelling the Hyatt card... it's like they don't want my money.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has always been somewhat of a confusing point when it comes to Hyatt, which is why some people avoid MGM properties altogether for the purposes of the trial, regardless of whether they're on the Hyatt website or not.

Over on FT, there are dozens of conflicting reports of people that have received information from Hyatt via both Twitter and email. Some of the information they received says that the MGM properties DO count, others say that they would count as stay credit, but not towards a status challenge.

Their invitation is vague as well, as it doesn't mention MGM properties at all, but I would try again regardless. I'd say search for other reports where people have been given stay credit and put it all together in an email to their GP folks and see if that changes their mind.

IDGflygirl, shipex, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, it was stated previously here and elsewhere that the Vegas properties are excluded from Hyatt Diamond Challenge.

But why go nuclear option and cancel everything? In the world of miles/points one has to recognize that you win some and lose some but I am sure life goes on. I am also sure they appreciate your loyalty but believe that they won't feel the pinch of losing your business .... rather, you locking yourself out of great program/properties.

The Hyatt program is superior to many others and they have great properties worldwide (Paris, Milan, Tokyo, Bangkok, etc.). You'd still have the 4 suite upgrades in your account and the fact that you can do the challenge again when the new program rolls out. Don't forget that they also gave you the Diamond status with full benefits during the challenge period which I am sure made your hotel stays more enjoyable ... and that is worth something! :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Diamond Challenge was already quite generous, so I don't think it's fair to blame Hyatt for exempting $30/night hotels from the offer.

Though I do admit that giving these non-Hyatt hotels a Hyatt.com URL is very misleading, it's up to you to make sure that you understand the offer as it was presented.

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and Thomask like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. freewon

freewon Active Member

Status Points:
    It is very sorry to hear that you have finished 12 nights but failed to get diamond status. You have to check T&C every time you registor any hotel offer.
    Do not cancel Hyatt card! At least you have enjoyed diamond benefits and may have unused suite upgrade awards. Searching the other brand is no harm, but Hyatt is a very nice chain to discard for good.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how "unbelievable" a program following its own rules is. You come across as very angry and entitled - hopefully calmer on the phone. Rather than accuse hyatt of a bait and switch which did not happen, better to focus on the communication gap where you got the wrong impression that the bellagio stays would count.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where can I book the Bellagio for $30/night? ;)

viguera likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have my credit card ready...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.