***BEWARE OF BARCLAYS BANK***

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by VIP, Mar 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had been having problems for the past 3 months with my Barclays card. First they flag my card numerous times (AFTER an established spending pattern), then flag the account for fraud and DID NOT send me NEW card until I tried to use the old one. Now Barclays has CLOSED my account permanently due to excessive inquiries (4) within a 12 month period....really Barclays f**k you

Kalboz, GoodBoy, MX and 1 other person like this.
  2. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will you be more specific regarding your spending habits?

Kalboz, GoodBoy, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I have had any bad experiences with them. I just got my second US MC and the signup bonus has already posted. I used my first card quite regularly for 3 months last year for the 15k bonus and did not have any issues.

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't think this is exclusive to Barclays. You can find examples of just about any large card issuer doing this.

Barclays is known for doing this.

Kalboz, GoodBoy and marcwint55 like this.
  5. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    My spend pattern approx. 20 or more transactions a month ($2-$800)

Kalboz and GoodBoy like this.
  6. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure other banks may do this, but Barclays attitude is cocky, arrogant. In fact I called to the London Corporate office and was told they have nothing to do with US operations and in fact the NY office DID NOT know who their CEO was (Antony Jenkins). Finally a SOB called me back by the name of ********* who LIED about listening to the calls/conversations and basically told me to take my business to another company.....who does that today

Kalboz likes this.
  7. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another case where I'd like to hear the other side of the story.

Anyway, they have given me nearly 90k US miles with little effort so far, so no complaints here. It's not a card I find attractive enough for a lot of ongoing spend but it did what I got it for.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds bad unless the transactions are gift card churns or something odd. I've used my Barclay US Air card for normal spending like crazy and never had any issues. However Barclay does seem like a pain in the butt to get approved. I've got $15k and $20k limits all over the place with Citi and Chase but Barclay gives me $5k limit and wouldn't approve a business card. Odd.

Kalboz, marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there are people who say the same thing about BofA, AmEx, Citi, Chase, etc.

This is probably true. Many corporations have separate branches/divisions for different countries.

I'm sure there are people in the NY office who know who the CEO is. The person who you spoke to maybe didn't know. When I worked at one of the foreign embassies in Washington, DC the only government official in the home country I could name off the top of my head was the prime minister. I didn't know who any other senior government officials in the home country were, and didn't really need to, or care to.

When you use terms like "SOB," "LIED," and "f**k you," the emotion and vehemence implied by those terms tends to damage your credibility.

Agreed.

Kalboz, daninstl, jwsky and 3 others like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone who doesn't want to do business with you. For example, I refuse to have a checking or savings account with Bank of America. They have more branches, but I hate their customer service. (When I closed out my accounts, the teller asked if I'd like to open a new one...) I also refuse to do business as an affiliate with FlexOffers because I hate the way their representatives treat publishers and promote cards. Could I save or make more money with some of these businesses? Yes. Do I want to be associated with them? No.

daninstl, GoodBoy, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no problems with Barclays other than when I churned the US Airways card for the third time, they didn't approve me at first. After a call back I got the card and the third set of bonus miles.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had no problems get either my first or second card approved. Both got a $5k credit limit (and yes, I have higher limits elsewhere). But I don't really care. I have no plans to charge up a storm on these cards. Why would I?

daninstl, Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you do not have problems with Barclays and you would like to hear the other side of the story. I DO NOT have to make up things about anyone/company, and IF you would like to view additional complaints from a wide range of other people here is a link: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews56462.html#Reviews

15. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:

Yes... That is odd that you have a relationship with them and they deny you additional credit...

16. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    In deed you might not know who every Executive/Senior person at a company/corporation, but at least you knew the 'Prime Minister' (like the C.E.O.) name. Terms like "SOB," "LIED," and "f**k you," are stressing important points/expressions, but it's also an opinion of a someone.

But to all if you like to take a look at this link and view some of the other complaints that DOES NOT deal with Credit Card(s) be my guest: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews56462.html#Reviews

17. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:

Glad to hear you have no problems with Barclays (then this post doesn't apply to you) and you don't use the Barclays card for your primary purchases. But some of us use credit cards to make many purchases. After all what is the purpose of having a card and NOT using it wisely/for purchases

18. Meridia51

Meridia51 New Member

Status Points:

Mike Reed and SM105 like this.