Beware: New Configuration 752

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunseeker, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tuesday we were not upgraded LAX-IAD, but we were not unhappy as we had reserved 16 B&C on the 752. When we arrived at our seats, row 16 had 4 seats instead of 6, and THEY WERE NOT THE NORMAL SPACIOUS ROW 16 SEATS, IN FACT THEY WERE NOT EVEN E+ SEATS. The FA said there is only one plane configured this way, but please know that if you choose row 16 you may end up in E-!

ETA: To add insult to injury, row 16 did not recline, but row 15 did recline into our tiny E- space.

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    What did the seat map show when you selected your seats? Was it still an exit row?

3. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sunseeker likes this.
  4. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I selected the seats from a normal 752 seat map, showing row 16 as E+ with 6 seats.

ETA: Yes 16 is an exit row, but with the space of E-.

5. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct that that plane was supposed to have wi-fi. I only know because they announced that it was not working.

6. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    What flight number was this? Or did you catch the tail number? That might help track down what is going on.

7. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: If you read the entire thread, you'll find that information is therein, supplied by yours truly.

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. Didn't realize you were stalking sunseeker and knew his flight number :)

9. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ? Stalking? :confused: The information supplied was pretty easy to find if one is aware of the existence of N593UA. I don't know his flight number, but I guessed that that bird was on LAX-IAD that day, checked on flightaware, posted a link to it, and sunseeker confirmed that that was his flight. C'mon, man... read the thread! :D

10. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    tjtenor4 was not stalking me -- if he had been he would know I am a she. :D He does seem to be good at putting together the available clues though, as he was correct about all the details of the flight and aircraft.

JosephMay, Flyer1976 and tjtenor4 like this.
  11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that plane have 16 standard UA F seats? Not like the CO birds with the lie-flat seats?

If so, that plane needs to be removed immediately before it makes a GS cry if his/her upgrade does not go through :D

12. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    The standard 752 has 24 F seats. It appeared that F was unchanged but since I was in E-, I definitely did not get a good look at F.

13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only distinguishing feature that I had heard about the "special config" 752 is that it has WiFi. And since sunseeker didn't mention WiFi until after your post with the flightaware URL, I thought you might have had more insight through "other" means ;)

14. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah. I am sorry for calling you a he then :)

sunseeker likes this.
  15. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's got some type of new seating, as well - at least in Y. I'm not that familiar with it, and I'm not aware of a seating chart for it. However, this is the first I'd heard about row 16 / the exit rows being different. But when the OP mentioned a "different" 752, this bird is obviously what immediately sprang to mind.

16. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on this plane in F in December. Indeed there's Wi-Fi, but there's also a very different in-seat power plug. I'm sure there's some easier way to describe it, but it's one of those that takes several different kinds of plugs.

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very short sighted of UA to adopt such a barebones seat upgrade for its new coach seat considering these need to be installed across the wide body fleet as well as longer haul domestic narrow bodies. While I certainly recognize the cost involved in such a renovation, UA should have considered a full IFE inseat system similar to that found on AC's full fleet. That would have been a far greater selling point, along with E+, to blow away the competition, particularly on longer haul flights and at the least on the B757 fleet (and of course the wide body Boeings) if not the Airbuses.

There are so many little flaws, and some huge ones, in UA's new C seats I am afraid this decision may rival that one as an exit bungle by the old regime!

21. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was little for us to like. My 6'3" husband and I unexpectedly found ourselves in E-. Our seats did not recline, but the ones in front of us did. There are no adjustable headrests like the ones on other UA Y seats. The wi-fi wasn't working. The reconfigured seatback pockets, as stated in the review referenced by hungarianhc, are designed to fit the magazines and the headset, and there is very little space for personal belongings. If we had been in F, my impression would have been different, but in Y I hope to never board that plane again!

22. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you provided feedback via ualsurvey.com?

23. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not receive and email for that flight or for our departure last week. I did find an email from a flight on Mar 20 and was able to link to this flight. I left extensive comments about the aircraft.

24. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Hopefully they take heed :)

25. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points: