Better Transatlantic, US 757 or CO 757 in Y?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by yaychemistry, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crossing the atlantic (to DUB),
    I have the choice of US Airways 757 from PHL or CLT or for about $200 more I can get on a CO 757 from EWR (with the flat bed in front - but I will be sitting in the back). The difference on Seat Guru looks like the CO 757 has power at the seats where the US 757 doesn't.

Anyone care to chime in on other differences between hard and soft product?

Upshot, if I take the CO flight, I can route via FRA on the way back and get on the 777-200ER :)

Extra $200 worth it?

2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    havent flown on the US 757 but have on COs and AAs . CO wins in service and food and IFE, but I wouldnt spend an extra $200 nor even an extra $100. and US cant be any worse then AA was

3. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not imagine how to be in single aisle plane across the Atlantic. Other Star Alliance airlines have bigger plane which I think it's more comfortable than single aisle 757. Air Canada is not bad in economy class IMHO. At least the IFE is pretty decent.
    If you can take A380 JFK-FRA on LH, it's new seats and pretty comfortable with better IFE.

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I am required to fly on a USA-based carrier so no AC or LH (travel paid by a gov't grant). The problem is, the return on US is DUB-CLT-EWR... and that's a long way to go in a 757... the CO is nonstop EWR-DUB.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are you originating? DL has nonstops from ATL and JFK to DUB using the 767, which means overhead projectors rather than AVOD in coach, but it's 2-3-2 seating, which sounds much better to me than a 757 narrow body 3-3 for that distance. Having the majority of the seats be aisles gives you much better odds of a decent seat.

Another DL idea is to look for a A330 to AMS or CDG and connect back on KLM or AF to DUB. The A330s have very good AVOD in coach and are nice new planes, wide body but not too huge.

Depending on how much $200 matters in your grant, I'd be tempted by the CO ticket with at least a wide body aircraft in one direction.

yaychemistry likes this.
  6. EJRoss

EJRoss Active Member

Status Points:
    I have flown on both US and CO in Y across the Atlantic and CO wins hands down.

yaychemistry likes this.
  7. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive been on LHs 744 and 340s and as much as I hate COs Y , I have to admitt anything is better then LH in Coach even US

a flight to DUB from NY is apx the same time as a flight to LA or SF. I too hate a narrow body but thats what it will be from FRA-DUB so I think that maybe a 2 hr flight or 1/3 the time of a EC-DUB flight, no way would I fly to FRA then DUB unless I had to be in FRA and going via the UK will cost a fortune in fees and taxes

therefore Id suck it up and take a late night flight where Id be sleeping anyway and get there ASAP for the cheapest I can do it for

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. You're right, but that's not applicable for the A380. I really enjoyed flying on it on Y-class. I also flew the CO narrow body trans-atlantic and as much as I was scared of passing 8 hours in a 757, as much did I feel comfortable on board. The IFE is nice and service was great and very friendly. Legroom is much better than on a BA or LH 747 for example.

So, I can tell you, the 757 in transatlantic config in Y is better than its reputation.

yaychemistry likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO food, IFE and general experience is likely to be better. I'm not sure it is $200 better.

yaychemistry likes this.
  10. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Well, was able to convince the boss to let me book on CO b/c it had an open jaw which fits the conferences better (I'll start in DUB and depart BHD via LHR) - saves a day and rail fare too.
    I used an Amtrak "connection" to drop the price down a little bit too. Booking the return to ZVE (New Haven Union Station) instead of EWR dropped the price a little further (since I would take that train anyway).

Travel isn't until July, but if I remember I will report back how I felt about the CO 757. No 777 on this itinerary, though.

belair likes this.
  11. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    now that the OP has chimed inthat its Not on his Dime but his companys. The $200 isnt an issue and between US and CO I think CO will make for a much better in flight experience, but not $200 worth if it was coming out of my own pocket, someone else paying hello CO

yaychemistry likes this.
  12. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    was on an empty EK 2 yrs ago AKL-SYD and it was heaven , but that wouldnt mean any other Carriers would be also

all I can say is @ 6'2" it was pure torture sitting in an aisle seat in LHs Y both on LHs 744 and 340-600 so much so that when they wouldnt let me stand I simply hit a lav instead of my seat.

So is LHs 380 pitch that much better? in-flight might be and Im sure the plane itself is but to me what is important is when arriving still having my knees intact

yaychemistry likes this.
  13. I don't know the exact seatpitch, but the feeling is a lot more roomy. It may be caused by the new seat design and the less cramped cabin size. I had a seat on the lower deck.

yaychemistry likes this.
  14. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    This day and age, though... even though its not my dime I would rather not waste what funding our research lab has, especially since its so hard to get gov funding these days for anything.

But this is (one of many reasons) why I like mp, it's fun (and useful) to figure out how people value things like better IFE, hard/soft product, lounge access, etc. It helps me put a price tag on things, especially products I haven't had the opportunity to try myself. :) Thanks MP!

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point is that it's grant money, so it's his own research budget. In a way, it's more precious than personal funds.

16. P.S.

P.S. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am familiar with both CO and US TATL, having flown both, including just last week. Main differences in coach:
    • Continental has AVOD, US Airways does not
    • CO free headsets, US $5
    • CO free snacks, US $
    • CO has 15 extra legroom exit row seats (7ABC, 20, 21), US has 12 (6DE, 7ABCF, 24). However, 6 of CO's exit seats (row 20) do not recline, and all on US recline.
    • Seat pitch for regular rows seems a little more generous on US, but I don't have much experience here as I almost always fly exit rows.
    • I prefer the CO food over US, but neither is gourmet
    • This may be just my limited experience, but CO TATL flights seem to be fuller than US. This means more chance of middle seat neighbors, but also more chance of op-up or VDB/IDB.
    • EWR vs PHL: PHL wins in just about every aspect except perhaps baggage delivery speed
    • US seems more accommodating and flexible than CO during irops

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Purposefully spending more of someone else's money rather than your own in this manner is even less respectable in my mind, but if that's what works for you, so be it.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.