Better to book with OTA or airline website

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ducster, Apr 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booking an itinerary for my sister that will go ORD-(MAD)-BCN stop, BCN-TLV stop, TLV-(MAD)-ORD. The best routing and $$ are on IB and the LY codeshare, so I can buy the entire itinerary on IB. Not having dealt with either IB or Orbitz, I'm wondering if it is better to book directly with IB, or would Orbitz be just as safe in case of any IRROPS? The prices are almost exactly the same, although IB website is showing $3 more for some reason.

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think either would matter regarding IRROPS. But if mileage earning is a consideration, I think you're generally better off booking with the carrier. Sometimes matters for seat selection too.

ducster and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would book with the carrier. If there are any problems with the reservation before travel, you'll have to call the OTA, who will then have to call the airline. Too many cooks in the kitchen. If you book directly with the airline, the chain to resolve any such problems gets a little bit shorter & simpler.

ducster likes this.
  4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. That was my inclination since the one time I used a different OTA, something went sideways with my trip, and it was really difficult to get it made right. I just don't know how hard/easy it is to deal with IB, and hopefully I won't have to find out.

LETTERBOY likes this.