Better to book: 2 one-ways or 1 round-trip?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, May 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    As AA allows one-way awards for 1/2 of a round-trip, what are the pro's & con's of booking two one-ways vs a Round-Trip?

2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll consolidate below & starting things off:

2 One-Ways - Pro's
    * If you take a different outbound the return isn't compromised
    * You can lock in the one-way while waiting for better availability for the other segment(s)

1 Round-Trip/Open Jaw - Pro's
    * If you pay any booking fees you only pay them once for a round-trip vs twice for two one-ways
    * If you cancel you pay one redeposit fee rather than two
    * If there are changes to the outbound (flying to another airport) then AA is more likely to modify the return (to fly out of the same airport).

AnthonyB1609 and perryplatypus like this.
  3. ljt

ljt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you also have BA miles then you can you use miles from BA for one way. Also, the availability (recently) has been different for award seats on AA.com and on BA.com, which has given me more choices. (for the same routing on AA).

4. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pros of One-way:

1. If you have only enough miles to go one-way with AA, you can book that ticket with AA and book the other one way with something else that you have miles in, even something in a different alliance liked United.

2. You are able to fly in to one city and out from another. I'm doing this when I go to India...flying in to Mumbai and out of Delhi. This means no backtracking during your trip if you want to do some traveling in the country or region.

3. If your time period falls near an off-peak award date, you can book one-way at the lower "off-peak" price and the other way at the "peak" price instead of having to book both of them at peak price (like you do with USAir, since they only allow roundtrip).

4. Fly one way business and one way economy. Maybe you want to spoil yourself on the way over or relax on the way back but don't feel like forking over all the miles you have for business both ways. No problem. Fly economy one-way, business the other.

Cons:

None that I can see, other than the aforementioned paying of a redeposit fee.

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    One way Pro. Booking at 330 days out if you really need a certain flight

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have to pay the ticket fee (for instance, booking on a partner that requires a phone call), you'll have to pay the fee twice, once for each direction.

perryplatypus likes this.
  7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA allows both of the above with an award round-trip booking

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's because your "roundtrip" booking is just two one ways. AA doesn't offer a RT award, you're just booking two one ways into a single PNR. ;)

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..miles are dedicated as two one-ways but that doesn't mean it's not a round-trip. As you pointed out, it has one PNR, I believe one ticket number, and fees are charged as booking one ticket (not as two one-way tickets).

The question revolves around the pro's & con's of booking a "round trip" under one PNR (AAA-BBB-AAA) or two PNR's (AAA-BBB & BBB-AAA)

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I never said anything about your question and your list of pros and cons. I just replied to your post and pointed out that your list will be very limited because (as you pointed out to the person you replied to) "round trip" awards are just two one ways booked under a single PNR, thus negating most issues faced when choosing between RT and one ways. :)

There are slight issues with fees that are charged, but overall, they're the same.

11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used my miles to book a trip to my uncle from JFK - LHR with BA and LHR - JFK with AA. I really don't see any difference, for me the only convenience is that you have only one PNR, you don't need to locators. But other than that I think the fees and taxes are the same, as they are applied to the segment.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fact I'm doing this:

1) SFO-HKG, CX (OW) Coach.
    2) HKG-DXB, CX (OW) Business.
    3) DXB-ZRH, LX (*A) Business.
    4) ZRH-BOS-SFO, LX/UA (*A) Business & First.