Better strategy to be on CO or UA programs or both?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by travel.flier, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. travel.flier
    Original Member

travel.flier Active Member

Status Points:
    If I'm going to fly 200k this year, and already have status on both UA & CO, is it better to
    A) Credit all flights to CO?
    B) Credit all flights to UA?
    C) Credit 100k to UA and 100k to CO?

It's unclear to me which one maximizes everything from SWU's, CR1's, lifetime miles, upgrade status etc.

For what it's worth, ~75% of flights will be on UA metal and 25% on CO metal.

Also, I assume there's a way to say put my CO number on the CO operated flights for upgrade priority, but then change it to credit the miles to UA if I want to earn MP miles for the flight, correct? (and how would that be done?)

piqaro likes this.
  2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you already have 1K (earned last year), then using UA will maximize CR1s.

UA is still honoring last year's terms for CR1 accrual (two if you fly 10K UA BIS in a quarter), plus they are using the new terms (two at 75K and two more each 25K thereafter).

So if your travel plans are spread out to match the 10K BIS per calendar quarter rule, then you could potentially earn up to eight (8) additional CR1s if you credit to UA.

piqaro likes this.
  3. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA - considering your 75% metal usage and the CR1 accrual with both the old and new rules.

Additionally, if you need to unload the CR1s, there's a pretty active market for trades.

4. travel.flier
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But if I do 100k evenly, won't I get 12 SWU's instead of 10 if I credit everything to UA?

And for CR1's, once they combine them, I'd shoot up to 200k - so wouldn't I get additional CR1's for that?

piqaro likes this.
  5. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooh, good point.

Probably, but maybe not. They only said they'd combine EQM from both programs for status.

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it really depends on when they will post the CR-1's and SWU's

7. travel.flier
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So bottom line is we don't know. So what is everyone else's strategy. I'm not sure how to do this correctly...

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question, but I'm not sure.

They could award you six in each program. Or they could wait until they merge the two programs and award you 2012 SWUs based on your total EQM (10).

I can't remember how UA handles it when you first hit 1K, but for years thereafter you get your six after the first of the year rather than when you cross the threshold (though they will allow you to request some of them as an "advance" once you've hit 1K). CO awarded them once you crossed last year since it was the first time they did SWUs, but I'm not sure that they've said it would be the same this year...

9. travel.flier
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm going to do the dual strategy...we will see how it works out...

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know target dates for combining the programs?

11. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Latest was from the end of January: "combined frequent flyer program details will be revealed later this year."

sobore likes this.
  12. I keep seeing the end of the year, but who knows.
    Would it be possible to do a status match and fly someone else, or are you trying to get MM ? (option D)

13. travel.flier
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would just announce the details of how the programs will be combined! It's such a pain not knowing because it does have an impact of how one chooses to credit flights!