Better Lu'au in Maui (Ka'anapali)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by SuperW2, Jul 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are headed to Maui for 11 nights, flying out next Saturday... Staying 4 nights @ Hyatt (thanks to Hyatt VISA) and 7 @ Westin (SPG), flying "free" on United (Continental/United Cards)

I have 6 year old twin girls and and we are starting to make reservations for activities for our stay. We want to do one Lu'au during our stay and wanted to see which was better. One of my kids is picky eater, so she won't eat much of anything at any Lu'au, so the food it secondary to the show.

The Hyatt hosts the Drums of the Pacific and the Westin has the Wailele Polynesian Luau, and prices are comparable. Are either of these decent (or better than the other), or is there another we should hit. We did the Old Lahina Lu'au when there 3 or so years ago and remeber it being pretty good, but thought one of the two at the resorts we are at might be preferred (not have to drive/park somehwere else)

Thanks in Advance
    SW2

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I"ll do both!?

3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only been to the Old Lahaina Luau, but we have friends who have been to the Hyatt and said they liked it.

wheat27 likes this.
  4. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to the Hyatt Luau twice, 2 years ago and 5 years ago and was happy with it both times. Haven't been to the Westin Luau but have heard it is pretty good as well from family that went while we were on Maui back in February. I've heard that Old Lahaina is one of the best on the Island but it's definitely nice not to have to deal with the driving especially if you're going to be taking advantage of the included adult beverages. The Mai Tais are actually pretty good as long as you get one that hasn't been sitting in the sun (look for the darker ones).

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a few times since we were there, and we didn't attend the luau at the Westin. But I thought that its location overlooked by all of the hotel rooms left much to be desired. I also thought its noise was kind of intrusive to guests in their rooms.

Haven't been to the Hyatt, but I've always heard good things about it.

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Travelzoo:
    Also available: Check out the on-site "Drums of the Pacific Lu'au" -- two adults and one child can dine, drink and watch the performance with this special for only $99 (regularly $259). To take advantage of this discount, purchase the voucher by July 25, 2011.​

7. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI... Got back from Maui and we did only the Hyatt Luau... it was 'OK'... I've only been to 2, so I don't have a lot to compare it too...We didn't book the VIP tickets, so waited about 45 minutes or so in line before being seated and then probably another 30-40 before we were able to get our food.

I'm not certain the MaiTai's had any alcohol in them (or very little)...I had 7 or 8 of them, they tasted just OK, but I didn't really want to switch to something else. The Pork was pretty good (I had 3 helpings), everything else just OK. I have a REALLY picky eater kid and all she ate was the purple (Poi?) bread and the desert. Her twin sister ate a little of everything.

The show was fair, not as good as the other Luau I'd been too (It wasn't Old Lahania, but not sure which one it was), and we had to leave towards the end because the 6 year olds had had enough and wind was becoming uncomfortable.

We walked by the Westin Luau during our stay there (and could hear from our room), but it didn't look nearly as nice of a presentation.

Overall, I'd say not really great value in the Hyatt show... OK for a first time Luau, but I probably wouldn't do it again (at least not until my kids are older, eat better and can make it thru the whole show).

Sw2