Best ZRH lounge for UA 1K flying UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    Just looking for some input on which ZRH lounge is better for a UA 1K (currently booked in coach with a waitlisted GPU). According to *A and LX I can access the SWISS Business Lounge or Senator Lounge in the non-Schengen area.

Are the lounges still pre security or are they post security? Does ZRH do US-bound flight security at the gate like AMS?

Thanks,
    RM

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lounges are post security at ZRH but there is a SWISS Business/SEN Lounge in the Schengen zone so you can access them before heading to the E gates where it is an non-Schengen terminal. You will have to deal with the US-bound flight security at the Gate a-la AMS and virtually most of Europe. I'm not sure about going to the B terminal non-schengen lounge though.

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

Any noticeable difference between the Business and Senator lounges? Should I choose one over the other for "newness" or amenities?

Thanks,
    RM

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't really comment as I've always been in the F Lounge ;) but I did go to the SEN Lounge to see the World's Longest Lounge Bar and that was about it.

TravelerRob likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The longest bar is the smoking area for both the Business and Senator lounges.

The lounges in the main terminal are much nicer than the contract facility in Terminal E. And the SEN lounge is a minor step up in food & drink from the Biz lounge. At the same time, the immigration queue can be a pain so leave a bit of time to get out to E and then out to the gate.

I seem to recall being "interviewed" for the US-bound flight but it wasn't a full-on security screening at the gate like AMS.

6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Panorama lounge in E is no match for the Senator lounge (except for the view, as far as I recall), but it's closer to the US gates. Otherwise, leave enough time to clear security to Terminal E, a bit of a walk, and extra security at the gate.

EDIT: Yeah, basically what WA said above. :)

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Panorama lounge is terrible. It's barely worth stopping by there. Times Square felt less crowded than the last time at the Panorama lounge.

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Senator lounge is solid. Not very large, but decent selection of food and booze. Kind of an awkward layout. Not among the best in Europe, but probably the best for a UA *G at ZRH.

9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input, all. Looks like I'll be trying the SEN lounge in ZRH. Since it's the 10am flight to EWR I'm probably not going to be in there very long because I hate wasting time at airports, but I do like checking out new lounges around the world.

-RM

10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    ZRH is actually one of the nicer airports to waste one's time in. :)

TAHKUCT and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially with the food store :).

Posted via Snail Mail aka an iPhone.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  12. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to ride the underground tram to get that super-cool moving video along the tunnel walls.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to the E terminal you will have to ride the train unless you are being driven from the FCL.

There is no longer any additional security for US bound flights.

As all the lounges in ZRH are now quite busy I would recommend just to use the Panorama lounge which has a beautiful view of the tarmac. It is no busier than any United Club and has the benefit of actual food and drinks.

If you are arriving from a Schengen country you will have to clear passport control in Zurich.

If you are arriving from a non-Schengen country you will have to clear passport control TWICE (enter and exit) to visit the lounge complex being referred to in this thread (with the long bar). There is a new *gold lounge in D which is just as nice without the bar.

ZRH does not have security at the gate such as the AMS system. You will have to present your passport for verification of validity to enter the United States on a USA bound flight.

Last week due to a late arrival I had a 29 minute connection at ZRH and made it without a problem- it was much faster just to go on my own then go to the FCL and get a driver by the way as a data point.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the impression that ZRH is great, except if you're departing on non-Schengen, in which case the Panorama Lounge is the best you've got. It's very :rolleyes:.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    ZRH isn't great- it is however clean and reliable.

I don't see the big deal about the Panorama lounge (positive or negative). I would much rather have a 60 minute MCT and an OK lounge than a 120 minute MCT and the First Class Terminal. The best advantage of Zurich is when it is possible to time close-ish connections without any worries. FWIW I have overnighted due to missed connections in ZRH exactly one time (which is a lot different record than FRA or MUC).

TAHKUCT and unavaca like this.
  16. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the continued feedback. I'm originating ZRH and not connecting from anywhere else.

-RM

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to use the regular business lounge, though I kinda wish I'd been to the Panorama lounge too. My favorite is the arrival lounge's showers, though.

TAHKUCT likes this.