Best / Worst Promotions or Changes for 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Darcie, Oct 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Darcie
    Original Member

Darcie Silver Member

Status Points:
    As we approach the end of 2013, we'd like to hear your thoughts on the best and worst of your frequent flyer and hotel programs this year.

If there is anything that strikes you as good or bad about the programs - like a great bonus promotion or actual enhancement or a terrible policy change - please let us know!

We're compiling a 2013 best of/worst of list for the December issue of InsideFlyer magazine.

Thanks!
    Darcie
    Associate Editor
    InsideFlyer magazine

uggboy likes this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kimpton Hotels. I have been writing poorly liked posts on MP about my adventures at Kimpton's this year. It has been great fun and very rewarding for me to get award nights. I accumulate points and miles with my CC's for the stays and restaurant meals.

In January, showing questionable judgment, Kimpton allowed me to status match my Priority Club Platinum status to their top tier Inner Circle status. To renew I needed15 stays (the preferable cost effective way) or 45 nights. Thursday I will have my 15th stay.:) IC gives you an available room upgrade. I have received a suite 10 out of 14 times. The beverage and snacks of your choice. A $10 ($15 in NYC) minibar or Cocktail Bar credit. A special Chef's treat and special service at their in-hotel restaurant. One needs 7 stays or 21 nights for an award night. You get an additional 2 award nights if you stay at 10 different hotels. One additional award for each extra 5 you stay. The award nights expire one year from the date of issue.

Currently IC members can get one free night with a $ 50 dining credit at the restaurant at 7 hotels that opened in the past year. The list is on the Kimpton website. There is an eigth hotel that does not offer the credit. You must have 3 stays before you become eligible for this benefit.

Thus, if you make the effort for your travel plans to enjoy Kimpton you could renew your status in 15 stays; receive 8 gift nights, and accumulate 4 award nights. My end of 2013 goal is to have 22 stays. This will give me 6 award nights. Plus one rollover night for next year. Oh yes, your stays count towards the following calendar year award night count.

In summation, the status match program at Kimpton which allowed me to reap the rewards that I value has been wonderful. I highly recommend this program. Y'all will not be disappointed if you throw some of your travel dollars their way if you happen to travel or live in one of their cities in the US of A.

icurhere2, KENNECTED and uggboy like this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention that the actual stay experience (restaurant quality, rooms, decor, wine hour, staff engagement, etc.) are excellent, in most cases, at Kimpton properties!

tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    for me, the biggest change in points on offer i notice for hotel programmes, is the Club Carlson programme, tremendous points on offer last year (maybe too much ??;)), conspicuously absent this year, for Asia where we don't have the Club Carlson credit card benefits and points are the main draw, this year has been a a dramatic reduction...

CHK, uggboy and tondoleo like this.
  5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I've been thinking of dipping my toe in the Kimpton loyalty program pool.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton: They announced that Gold and Diamond members have to pay the same "resort fees" as all other people staying at hotels which charge them. The problem with this is that the main thing which the resort fees give is the internet access -- which Golds and Diamonds get for free anyhow. Not surprisingly, after this change a number of properties suddenly started charging these fees.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    United now requiring a dollar spend for their elite tiers. I feel for those who had UA MM (or more) in their long term target plan (and are on their own travel dime).

cvsara, uggboy and clscholes like this.
  8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, don't get me started on changes made by "The Jeff".
    From Premier Exec, to Premier Gold, to Premier Silver, to one that will probably start using 500K + miles for 1st Class bookings, going forward. Premier? We don't need no stinkin' Premier. ( time to keep the $$ pocketed and unload miles.)
    On the + side, the miles needed for continental US to OGG/HNL is still a pretty good deal.
    Rant over :D

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't Delta doing the same? Which is why I am sinking into the depths of despair with essentially zero benefits for Silver next year.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worst: Hilton's devaluation. Awful, just awful.

Best: I'm currently doing the 20 nights/50,000 points Hyatt Q4 bonus. Pretty happy with that. Yes not the most lucrative ever, but after only targetted promos (which didn't include me) this one has me pretty happy. Other than that I've enjoyed SPG this year--hit 50 nights and got the 35% off award bonus which I used for a stay in Hawaii, and now I've hit 75 nights which will give me quadruple points for next year. Pretty happy with Starwood this year. Upgraded me to a crazy suite in Hawaii too, which made up for all the times I wasn't upgraded in business hotels in Silicon Valley (where I don't really care).

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, i got into this miles/points hobby (addiction??) only last year, and haven't really accumulated much Hilton points yet, so this devaluation would make it really hard to work your way into a stay at one of their premium hotels...:(

Sweet Willie and CHK like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any worthwhile Hilton award stays unless the award is a GLON or AXON and as @gconnery states above, the deval was just awful. (even w/the multi night awards)

13. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    But GLON or AXON isn't available in Asia, to my knowledge:(

14. mahertali

mahertali New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! I think BA has the WORST frequent flyer programme; the least rewarding, the worst service, the most painful. I started a blog about my experiences with BA and their Executive Club, should anyone want to check it out. http://www.badialogues.tumblr.com