Best way to search for Cathay Pacific availability using BA points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tzoom84, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm interested in booking a trip from JFK to BKK (Bangkok) November of this year, using British Airways points. Reading some blogs, I see that the British Airways reward booking site tends to bias results towards BA flights. And some recommended using Quantas's search engine, but that apparently is gives false results for Cathay.

Given I am using BA miles, what would you recommend using to search for availability for a Cathay flight from the US to Asia?

jmrich1432 and druiddation like this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny. I was searching the web after my last post and nexus popped up. I'm in the middle of a search right now. I'll play around with it some more.

So far I'm impressed at the results, but will need to confirm it's results by calling. Thank you

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    druiddation likes this.
  5. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's where I started off. Using tips from that site I decided to stick with Cathay all the way since single-Oneworld-partner rewards are cheapest. And I also decided on JFK-BKK since both are major oneworld hubs.

However, when I search BA for departing around 10/30 and returning 2 weeks later (with flexible search) I get little to no results. But on my first attempt at using AwardNexus, I got what seems to be promising results. See the attached images.

Any tips on how to use BA.com to get similar results what I got in AwardNexus?

cathay_oct_results.JPG cathay_oct_results-2.JPG

6. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    When using partner miles, the phrase "the most accurate" cannot be used to describe the Asia Miles website.

8. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IME, as long as there was more then one seat, it was available to partners.

BA is very unreliable to even bring up the flights. Award Nexus IMHO is overpriced.

9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with BA being unreliable. AsiaMiles, even if there was more than one seat, rarely matched what AA could find.

10. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping to book a trip to SE Asia over Christmas time 12/20 > 1/3, on a Oneworld flight using points and I'm finding it virtually impossible to use any of the tools out there.

Maybe there are just no award flights available and i'm SOL. One thing i do know is that they don't make it easy for me to figure it out.

Any advice for an easier way to book this trip would be appreciated.

- JP

11. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always used BA website, and even though it is a bit glitchy, the information is 100% accurate once you get it going, at least in my experience. It is also free of charge.

Also, you can try Qantas site, it does work as well.

Cheers,

PedroNY

12. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do the airlines purposely make their websites crappy in an effort to reduce ability redeem award tickets? I'm just wondering cause it seems to be an industry wide thing, but I dont know of any other industry that makes it so difficult.

13. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally use KVS Tool. Since this is a hobby, spending a bit on this app other than the plastic models of planes, and posters for my office, makes good sense to me. Also, PM ur dates and what not and I can check for ya.....(just dont take my seats on the dates I want to use those BA Miles :D

14. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard good things about Qantas engine.

15. chewy3
    Original Member

chewy3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA sometimes has trouble locating partner flights that are around midnight or just after midnight (mainly because Amadeus has this trouble). Otherwise, I find it has the best results overall if you search segment by segment. Qantas is totally inaccurate for CX bookings.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  16. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have advice on how I can get home after New Years from Hong Kong using BA miles? I tried for hours today to find an award seat (well, actually two seats) to no avail.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions that would help me find two open award seats would be HUGELY HELPFUL