Best way to redeem Thank You points (for a flight)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by yeahthatskosher, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have ~220,000 Thank You points, and I'm quickly realizing that the points work better for certain types of flights versus others.

Anyone have any insight into this?

~DK
    yeahthatskosher.com

Gargoyle and santafefran like this.
  2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got about a tenth of that, but I'm also very curious about the best redemption methods for these.

3. These pts have been accumulating since 2005 and Ive never used them. It's about time I do.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    All from bank accounts?

5. Bear

Bear Active Member

Status Points:
    I haven't found a reliable way to get more than $0.01/point of value out of Thank You. Years ago they had a fixed rate redemption option for flights where say 25,000 points could get you a domestic ticket retailing for $350.

The current system seems to be a penny a point across the board; getting many $100 gift cards gets the same ratio.

doc likes this.
  6. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I picked the specific TATL flight that I wanted and was charged 110,000 points. Had planned to do the same this year but now that they are using the Connexions booking system the airlines have restricted available flights and it isn't working out how I wanted it to. I think the best way to redeem them is to watch for airline sales to where you want to go and then visit the booking site often to check for availability--options change constantly. You should get a better bang for your buck if you wait for sales.

7. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's fare-based now, so if you wait until tickets are cheap dollar-wise, they will be chaep points-wise. If you pay fully with points, you'll get a 25% discount, too, which is a bonus!

I had 280K points, but I've whittled it down to just 90K now.

8. Just registered and new here. Been reading some of the postings here and found them quite informative. Some I am already aware but quite a few I am now getting some idea of. (Thanks guys!)
    Not very good with redeeming my miles but I do have a few 'incidences' of my own on board an airline to share (which I personally experienced). I'll be returning here again. :)