Best way to monitor your credit score?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Free2travel, Aug 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I signed up for CreditSesame but is there a better place to monitor your credit score? I did pull my free annual credit reports.

Thanks.
    Michelle

SuperKirby and MX like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use: https://www.creditkarma.com/ it only shows the TransUnion score, but it’s clear, has a history of your scores and as long as it is free I'll keep using it. They have also added some features like letting you know when a payment is due.

SuperKirby, vickers, MX and 1 other person like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also find credit karma to be more helpful than credit sesame.
    About once a year or so i get my free credit report at:
    https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
    It's always good to check it every year or so to make sure there are no discrepancies/mistakes.
    And from time to time I like to get my actual credit score from Experian, Equifax and Transunion. I can always find services that will give my credit scores with a free trial (then I cancel immediately so that I don't have to pay their fees). I don't use any one particular service for this. I just do a search whenever I feel the need for an accurate score (credit karma and credit sesame just provide estimates)

4. Free2travel

Status Points:
    Thank you both!

I will check out Credit Karma. Now, I need to find out if I can delete my information from Credit Sesame. I don't want too much information floating around.

SuperKirby likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quizzle also allows 2 Experian Reports & "Scores" a year. I pull my Experian 3 times a year (2x from Quizzle & 1x from AnnualCreditReport) because everyone seems to want to pull Experian where I Live; then I get TU/EQ once a year. Just to review.

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    I use citi identity monitor for $4.95/ month for all 3 scores. Google the offer should be able to find this reduced price level

SuperKirby likes this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you can cancel your CreditSesame account. They require you to wait a year before signing up again though.

SuperKirby likes this.
  8. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Costco offers a free 30 day trial.

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. LarsErikNYC

LarsErikNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking your credit score doesn't count as a hit against your score? Under what circumstances is it a BAD thing to check?

SuperKirby likes this.
  10. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checking your own credit score is a "soft inquiry" and doesn't do anything to hurt your credit score, as only hard inquiries count against you. There are no bad circumstances to checking your score. I've known some people to be as anal as to pull their scores every day for a few months prior to them applying for a mortgage, because they wanted to be sure nothing popped in that might cause a problem with the loan process.

I prefer the USAA Credit Monitoring Service, as it pulls all 3 bureaus, and you can get them down to a monthly price of around $12 or less.

11. LarsErikNYC

LarsErikNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Servo. Your answer helped.

servo and SuperKirby like this.
  12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    For free, CreditKarma (TransUnion) and credit.com (Experian) is the best. There is no free Equifax monitoring services.

Remember, these are not your true FICO scores but use their own method of scoring. We call these FAKOs. Sometimes these FAKOs are close to my real FICOs, & sometimes they are off by as much 50 points!

Are you looking for paid detailed services and real FICO scores? If so, I have many excellent recommendations.

Also, which one you pick really depends on what you're looking for, home loan, student loan, car loan, and most importantly: travel credit cards (Lol), etc.
    There are 49 different typos of FICOs and every lender uses different versions, including their own version sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    flynow and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. Free2travel

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of using a paid service if the price is reasonable. We are NOT in the market for any loans. Our mortgage will be paid in two years. Hopefully, that will make us "officially" debt free! Anyway, I'm monitoring them for travel credit cards. Thanks for any direction!

14. adventuress

adventuress Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got so irritated on a Re-Fi inquiry due to the constant phone calls that I went directly to Equifax and ended up getting their product temporarily. I locked up everything from prying eyes and discovered why I was getting the interest as my score was much higher than I thought. The product gives you everything you would want to know.

15. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use USAA's Credit Monitoring service.. it's useful but pricey... $12.95 a month

Good thing is that it gives me a USAA account, which means I can use the Hertz CDP for USAA members. Hertz is also running a promo that gives all USAA members a double upgrade until EOY.

servo likes this.
  16. ilikesteak

ilikesteak Member

Status Points:
    Great time Jimgotkp!! I will have to remember that!

-ilikesteak
    USAA member since 2001

servo likes this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    One person's cons are another's pros. I'm happy to field the calls when re-fi as it means I get that more offers to choose from.

18. Christal

Christal New Member

Status Points:
  19. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some states, like CA, you can get your credit report from each bureau for free each year.

So, you can pull a different report from each bureau every 4 months. :)

20. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have Berkeley bank will give you a free credit score! If you have one of there credit cards.

21. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Credit karma, they have also an app for iphone/android..

22. CellarDoor

CellarDoor Active Member

Status Points:
    I use Credit Karma but if you have Barclays Arrival card (not sure about other cards issues by Barclays) you can now access your actual FICO score for free through your account. So I use Credit Karma and it's alert systems to constantly monitor my credit and keep and eye on credit score, but for my real FICO I login to my Barclays (still have 40,000 signup bonus) and now I can view it there. Great perk.

*Also with the Barclays Arrival you get a free pro subscription to TripIt ($49 value)

23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for Credit Karna, first time in over 50 years, in my time you either get the loan or you don't,

Later years I have been known to ask for better rates, on Home Loans. CC never had any real problems, but we do push it with all the perks...

The banks want's your business! just pay them and everyone will be happy.