Best way to manage business and personal cards on Chase website?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by othermike27, May 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just opened a Chase Ink Bold and already have 3 other Chase personal cards that I manage from a single login - a decently-implemented convenience feature that I like. However, the CSR said (and I confirmed on the site) that I could not add my new business card to the login already created for my personal accounts. Instead, I must register a new online userid/passwd for the business card, then I could add the personal cards to that login if I want.

OK, I can do that. But it seems a little odd, so I thought I would ask if anyone knows of reasons why/why not to do this that I'm not seeing...? Note that the only thing being combined is your online access to the accounts you control.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no reason not to do it. It makes combining points from one UR bucket to another one step longer, but I've just grown accustomed to business with one sign-on and personal with the other.

othermike27 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason is that personal and business cards are issued by completely different parts of the bank, different corporate entities. They are also subject to different legal requirements and disclosures. the business cards do not have consumer card legal protections and are not subject to FCRA, for example, so they are treated as corporate rather than individual products. Thus, as you probably know, although hard inquiries for business cards generally show up on individual credit reports (unless the business entity itself has sold enough credit to not require individual legal liability for the debt) they are rarely reported on individual credit reports. YMMV, not every lender follows exactly the same procedures for business cards as most do. BTW, the reasons issuers like business cards are first, higher interchange so increased income for big spenders who do not revolve and second, absence of consumer legal protections. Thus, remember that "business" is not just a marketing label; business cards are entirely different products than are consumer cards, despite superficial similarities.

othermike27 likes this.
  4. othermike27

Status Points:
    Thanks Ed. It was your response in the thread about transfer of UR point from Ink to Freedom that prompted me to ask.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. othermike27

Status Points:
    Got it. I understand the key differences (credit reporting, fraud liability, etc.) between personal & business accounts: in fact, not wanting to bother with these considerations is what stopped me from opening a business account before now. But the current 60K points offer on top of 5X on phone, internet, etc. finally pushed me into action. I just thought it was an odd quirk that a business registration for online account management could also capture one's personal accounts, but not the other way around. Sometimes when you pull on little strings like this, something worth knowing pops out. If it's just an artifact of the way Chase set up their website, I can live with that. Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You didn't ask this, but I feel compelled to mention one "gotcha" about Chase online accounts.

IF you have a Chase bank account linked to an online profile, and IF you initiated any regularly recurring outbound automatic payments from that bank account using that profile (i.e. I'm not talking about when you have a credit card auto-pull the funds, this is if you're "pushing" a set amount at a set interval), and IF you end up having to disconnect your bank account from that online profile and connect it to another, and IF you end up having to deactivate the original online profile THEN those payments are going to continue, but they will not show up online in your bill pay or transfer section so there will be no way to alter or stop them on your own.

If that happens, you need to call in AND find a rep who is able to follow that AND be competent enough to know what to do.

The chain of events that leads to that situation can probably only happen to me, but just in case ...

jbcarioca, othermike27 and Espan like this.
  7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    maybe it's a legacy situation, but I have 3 personal and 2 biz chase cards all linked to one log-in. Not sure how I did it. But it's done. Probably over a year or more since last Chase card application.

jbcarioca and othermike27 like this.
  8. othermike27

Status Points:
    Sheesh! I'll buy you a drink next time I'm in your town (wherever that is). But that is the kind of unintended consequence I was looking for. I have gone around my share of bureaucratic gear wheels, and don't wish to add to that experience base any more than necessary. So, when someone quotes me a rule or requirement of their system that sounds odd to an outsider, I want to know more. Since my only business with Chase is credit cards, I won't fall into the trap that got you, but thanks for the warning!

Espan and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BMI

Espan and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not positive about that. I know of several banks that permit such account linkages, and my own legacy Chase Manhattan Bank accounts all link, as do my old FirstUSA account. My understanding is that the formal policy was changed when product management was altered. Both legacy Chase Manhattan and FirstUSA did have business and consumer cards which flowed up to card management. IIRC, several other parts of the merged entity had business cards in small business or corporate banking departments rather than card services. Despite the earlier comments I made, the organisational setup is ultimately the thing that drives online access policy, so I'm sure there are many of us with older accounts that link.
    I have the sneaking suspicion that the same "gotcha" applies to many issuers, sadly. I've read enough card dispute handling cases to know that such problems are not so rare as we all wish they were. I hope they get caught and repaired quickly, but I suspect they are just sufficiently arcane that programming design often can overlook such issues.

othermike27 and Espan like this.