Best way to get to South Africa?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by joesmoe, Apr 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay so I can leave from the US, EU, Asia, or Sydney.

I have BA, AA, UA, and DL miles for the trip. I want to fly all in F.

Very flexible with dates.

So whats the best value first class award with the most flexibility (i.e. most stopovers/other ways to extend the value of the ticket).

Thanks in advance!

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The best value is the airline that has the inventory that you want, and you have the miles for those flights. Seriously, everyone will have a different answer for you. There are too many variables in your question. You need to figure out more what you want to do and then see how to do it.

travelinmike33 likes this.
  3. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    US - HKG - JNB on CX F if you can find seats. I wouldn't bother with DL, the amount of miles you need is ridiculous. BA F is slightly better than AA / UA / DL's F, but surcharge is high. Although redemption US - LHR - JNB on BA seems easy the last time I checked, and you can stopover in London. AA gives you flexibility on their partners award.

There are too many options. I'd say look at your bucket of miles, see where you'll be and build the longest leg. And work from there.

joesmoe and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL doesn't offer a true IFC, only BE (Business Elite) which is better than business class on three-cabin aircraft but doesn't have caviar, separate FC lounges, etc. From the US on DL, there are nonstops or you can connect through CDG or AMS to partners AF and KLM. AF does have first class, but it cannot be gotten as an award ticket using DL miles due to a SkyTeam rule that if your carrier doesn't have IFC, your miles cannot be used for a partner's IFC.

joesmoe and travelinmike33 like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second these suggestions. Honestly, you have so many options between where you leave from and the miles you have, shoot for the moon with CX F and work your way down (BA F next imo, see if you can get new first http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1050471-tracking-nf-new-first.html).

6. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perfect, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to shoot for CX then BA. I'm pretty sure with my flexibility i'll be able to get one of those.

I have plenty of miles available for both.

JohnDeere19 likes this.