Best way to get to Italy using MR?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by pixel girl, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pixel girl
    Original Member

pixel girl Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi MP gang -- I'm hoping I can share your knowledge of the MR program.

I have approx 100,000 MR and am hoping to parlay that into two tickets from BOS-FCO.

I've looked into Alitalia and other MR partners, but it can be hard to make heads or tails of their rewards charts and availability. Is there a partner that you'd recommend that has especially good redemption rates?

Thanks!

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. May want to consider a transfer to Delta considering the current bonus (anyone care to provide a link to the thread? I haven't figured out how to include those just yet). If you're able to get the 80% bonus, you would only be 20K miles away from a low-level business award. It would probably take some work to find the availability, but it could be done.

3. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want to fly Coach, I'm pretty sure that most airlines have a redemption that will get you there for around 50,000 miles each.

You're flying from Boston to Rome, though, which opens up the possibility of using ANA's mileage based chart (since BOS to FCO is fairly short), and playing with their search tool a bit, it looks like you can get two business class tickets for 136,000 miles, so if you can find 36,000 more MR (or get an advance), and there's availability (FCO is tough), that might be the way to go. Or, you can do two tickets in Coach for 43,000 each, which is under your amount.

4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would check expertflyer first for availability (try Delta first for the bonus), and see the dates you are looking for and only transfer when I could confirm availability for your dates; the transfer is instanteous usually. Otherwise British Airways has a 40 percent travel promo as well -- US--LHR--FCO again check availability before you transfer.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA is going to cost a bundle in YQ & fees. AC or CO will avoid that and give you *A partners, with Aeroplan having a slightly better award chart. If you can find the AZ flights on awards you can use DL to redeem them and the transfer is immediate though I'm not sure about the transfer bonuses also posting instantly; that could mess things up.

No matter what you should avoid making the transfer until you know the seats are there.

6. You could definitely transfer to Delta with the 50% bonus which would get you enough for a business class ticket to Europe. KLM, Air France and Alitalia can all be redeemed with Delta skymiles. KLM and Air France often have good availability if you are a little flexible (and you can search both of these on delta.com - just don't expect the calendar to work). Air France flies out of Boston.

You could also redeem on Alitalia directly out of Boston, but would need to call Delta to check award availability.

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Unless the member is Platium or Diamond with Delta and know all the workarounds getting awards, I wouldn't recommend Delta, even with the bonuses. My coworker had to pay 160K miles to go to MNL in coach from LAX. [​IMG]

For coach tickets, I would avoid BA as like the above poster mentioned, they have high fuel surcharges.

8. is it a little odd when someone asks for advice, and members enthusiastically respond with wonderful wisdom.... great tips and information that has been gathered over time or being acutely aware of current offers across different carriers and cards, and the member that asked the original question never responds with...........

9. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I know I got lots of good info from this thread, and I'm sure others did too. So it was not all for nothing!

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. i don't disagree, I guess it's the courtesy aspect.