Best Way to Get to Asia

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by gmoney5827, Jul 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. gmoney5827

gmoney5827 New Member

Status Points:
    Hey All,

These mileage programs are so overwhelming! So I'm looking to book a multi-city trip, or 2 one way trips and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I am looking to fly from NYC area to Shanghai on August 5, and fly back from Tokyo to NYC area on August 31. I currently have very good sized balances on my Amex points as well as my Chase Sapphire points(Lets assume I can cover the points needed for a business class trip between the 2). I would like to fly at least business class, if not entirely first. My main question, is what is the best way to do this? Should I buy an economy ticket and upgrade using points? Should I just buy it using points? Who is the airline to use that would cost the least amount of points? Also I would prefer direct, but would be okay with 1 layover if it significantly reduces poitns cost/enhances the seating of the flight. Are there any guides that could point me in the direction of what/how to do this? I tried booking through amex rewards website a few minutes ago and it said it would cost 550k points for this trip on business class, which seems insanely absurd to me. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. Don't book via the AmEx rewards site; that's just converting points to cash and usually doesn't work so well. The general idea is that you transfer your points to an airline reward program and then redeem from there.

Is there any flexibility with your dates? Do you need a flight between PVG and TYO as part of the trip as well?

If you can go the day prior there are two business class options readily available via Star Alliance partners. You can fly Air Canada via Toronto or a combination of Lufthansa and Air China via Frankfurt. The return is a bit more challenging, but even if you pay the "rule buster" rates to get the extra availability you can beat the 550k price.

3. gmoney5827

gmoney5827 New Member

Status Points:

Yes my dates are flexible. So you think my best option is to use the United program. And the points would be about 150k each way?

satman40 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can get the outbound in biz on the flights I listed for 80k one way. Those would transfer over from your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. I'd probably take the Air Canada option (even with the early departure and first segment in Y) but I don't like the double redeye effect of the NYC-FRA-PVG routing.

For the return there are DL flights at 110k o/w via MSP (transfer to SkyMiles from AmEx Membership Rewards). Not quite as cheap as the outbound but still a decent rate and good flight times.

That's 190k all-in which isn't the absolute best you'll find but this is relatively short notice and those were the first few I checked. Plus you spread the costs across both programs.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United seems to open award space at the last minute if you are very flexible 67,5 FC

My wife sister sometime jumps on FC with a 10 hour window, if the load is light, they do try to fill the seats,

AA will also do this...67,5. FC...

You can also book and and change if space opens...

Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.
  6. gmoney5827

gmoney5827 New Member

Status Points:
    Hey Wandering Aramean,

I'm on the United Rewards flight booking and all the options are for 175k points and there are no flights listed for other airlines. Should I be going through Aircanada site?

satman40 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, but it is likely that the available award space changed in the past 5 days. I still see the FRA connection option at 80k points on the UA site. Scroll all the way to the bottom for partner awards. The AC option appears to be gone.

satman40 likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has some saver fares at the moment,to PVG, this time of year United is my first look till after Jan... 2016

Just booked PEK/IND. FC. 80,000 plus $37.00, ret. IND/PEK AA 1/15 J 55,000,