Best way to get from Heathrow to London City?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by brucewil, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the newbie question. I will be flying next year into Heathrow on BA on my way to AMS. the connecting flight is out of London City airport. What is the best way for me to get from Heathrow to London City? I am assuming we are dragging our luggage along with us. In other words it won't be transferred for us?

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  2. DrJack

DrJack Active Member

Status Points:
    Yikes, that stinks. The only reason I say that is because they are on polar opposites of the city. The good news is that public transport links the two, and is by far your cheapest option. Take the tube on the blue Picadilly line from LHR. You can then use the tube network to connect to the DLR (docklands light rail) and then go to London City Airport. With big heavy bags, this could be a challenge, but is perfectly doable with one checked bag and a carry-on. I would allow about 1.5 hours to make this trip by public transport.

Getting a private cab would work, but would be crazy expensive. If I remember, a cab from LHR to central London was $80-100, and that's only half way on your journey. I'm sure there's a private transfer company or something of the like.

Best of luck to you mate! Cheers.

8MiHi, boondr and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

It is not cheap, but I would recommend a taxi or private car service. Taking luggage on public transport would be most unpleasant there.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one thing I would suggest is making your transfers at handicapped-friendly stations. This is indicated on the Tube Map with a wheelchair icon. If you change stations somewhere else, you might be dealing with flights of stairs between platforms. A local mentioned this to me last summer at the Olympics as an option when hauling luggage.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm usually opt for convenience over cost, so probably go with some kind of car service.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The London City Airport website claims that travel to/from the other London airports is easy. Unfortunately their suggestions are no better than those already presented here. It appears that the private car/executive car option will likely be the most comfortable. I like the Underground, but if you have any significant luggage it can be difficult.

marcwint55 likes this.