Best way to get a few United miles quickly?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by daemon14, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Convinced a friend to look into miles for a future trip and want him to get UA miles for a trip to Europe in a bit over a year. He just opened a UA account and I need an idea of how to get a few miles on that account so that he can get the 55K Chase UA offer instead of the lower one. I could always transfer 1000 of my UR to him, but want to see if there's a quick other way.

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many miles are you talking about?

3. jimmycopp

jimmycopp Active Member

Status Points:
    Sign up for the Mileage Plus Dining then go buy a beer or soda at listed restaurant...you will see the points in 4-7 days

sobore and daemon14 like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tomorrow or Tuesday, they will put up this week's weekend specials. There are a variety of cheap fares to various destinations, so your friend could look into a weekend getaway for not much money on this page:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/booking/specials/default.aspx

It doesn't show any special fares tonight, but will as soon as this week's specials are announced. His home airport will determine how many options are available, as the hubs always have the highest number of offers.

I'm not sure if buying miles will accomplish your goal, but that may be an option. Although not a good value in most cases, the minimum number may be an exception in this case. I'm sure others here will have more input to expand on the value (or lack herein) of this info.

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the best solution I could also think of. I was looking to see if UA offers things like Audience Rewards.

I think I only need 1 mile to activate the deal. I had someone apply with just 86 miles in their account and they got it.

6. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    Your friend could sign up for Netflix. It's 2000 miles for any credit card, and 4000 miles if the Chase MileagePlus CC is used. It's an $8 investment. You can cancel after the first month (i.e. $8) has posted to your credit card. The miles post, in my experience, pretty quickly; if I recall within 3 days.

If they are already a subscriber, all you'll need is a different email address to register.

I've registered once without the UA CC, then another time with the UA CC netting 6000 miles (2000 + 4000). I wonder if I can do it again (continue doing it) with my UA CC....

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was gonna say do the netflix thing too. Or the Hertz 14.99 wknd day rental?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transferring 1000 points from your UR account will be significantly faster and cheaper than dealing with flying a weekend special.

msv and daemon14 like this.
  9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have your buddy give you $25, then buy 1000 UR points (2.5 cents each) and transfer them to him.

I've also heard you can book a flight, buy the "award accelerator" offer, then cancel the flight. Never done that myself, but I've heard it works. I don't know if it is cheaper than the UR points though.

edekba likes this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd just transfer to him and tell him he owes you dinner.

daemon14 likes this.
  11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I just realized he has a Freedom card. So I guess I'll be doing this.

12. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP Premium

boondr likes this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it were still available, I'd consider it, but I'm not sure that it's worth it for him. Out of the $59 fee, the only thing I could see him using are the 2K United miles + the 24-hour wifi pass. It was worth it for me since I value the Hyatt status as well as the discount on ExpertFlyer, but he just wants a free trip to Europe next year.

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    book short trip, buy miles from ua, refund? mke<>ord is the shortest flight you can book at a cool 67miles

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    You don't want to transfer the points to his Freedom card because that card won't allow him to then transfer the points to his UA account (unless he also has the Sapphire or Ink). Instead you can simply transfer 1,000 UR points directly into his UA account (from your Chase account, select -> Ultimate Rewards -> Points Transfer -> United Mileage Plus -> then enter his name and account information). The transfer should take place instantly.

17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but those are MY 1000 UR points. ;)

miles and smiles and edekba like this.
  18. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    My mistake, I suppose I misinterpreted this statement:

19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found out that you can trade in 4 BestBuy points for 1 UA mile on Points.com. And you can earn free BB points via Audience Rewards.