best way to fly Los Angeles to South Africa

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lblumen, Feb 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lblumen

lblumen Member

Status Points:
    We are a family of 8 looking from fly Los Angeles to Cape Town, fly internally and fly back thru Johannesburg. what is the best routing. thought of flying thru amsterdam with a lay over of a day but not sure how to do it. any suggestions????

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best can mean different things to different people.

Obvious SkyTeam possibilities include the DL nonstops, KLM through AMS, AF through CDG, maybe some route using Kenya Airlines, and from LAX, perhaps even connections through Asia. (ICN using KE seems too far north, but perhaps CZ through CAN would work, especially if you can use the transit without visa program for China.) Depending on your routing and destinations to be visited within Africa, you should double check whether there are any health requirements (shots) that apply. There are also SkyTeam nonstops from LAX to SYD (and some other airports in Australia), but there is no SkyTeam service from Australia to South Africa.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    A family of 8? I wonder if it's possible to get a group travel discount for that size!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A group usually means 9 or more for airlines.

5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

You didn't indicate whether this is a paid trip or if you're suggesting using miles. I'm guessing since you're talking eight people that the idea is to pay for it, since that would require a mountain of miles and be nearly impossible to find those seats all on one flight. A check of ITA Matrix shows that KL/DL is a decent option in terms of price (looking at some random dates in April). I don't see anyone routing via the Pacific, and I think the only place I've ever read of allowing such a routing on an award ticket even is Alaska using Cathay Pacific via HKG.

If you do go via AMS, find a flight that lands in AMS just under 24 hours before the next CPT flight leaves and then you can have a free day there in AMS. Given the joint venture, it shouldn't be hard to find a flight that meets those criteria.

6. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying my family to J'burg on Delta in April. We are doing the non-stop from ATL which I have been told is their longest non-stop flight with a 16 hour flight over and 17 back. I kind of wish I had routed through CDG or AMS to get a little break, but now committed. Also, award tickets are very hard to come by in April on any of the routes I checked except at the higher levels. Maybe more will be released in upcoming week..

Jason