Best way to complain to United?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ClarkyBoy, Apr 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the best (proven?) email address to send a complaint as a 1K?
    Really first time i needed to.

Thanks

ClarkyBoy

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the 1K Desk and let them know you want to speak to 1K Customer Relations since you're still traveling or just completed travel.

If you're complaining about being double-upgraded to GlobalFirst because your TV in BusinessFirst didn't work then I don't know what to tell you. I think United did the right thing here by moving you up.

JLSocks and unavaca like this.
  3. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point:

I just got a 1Kvoice email response from a communication I submitted on 3/29/12. Today is 4/20/12. Pathetic turnaround time in my opinion, but then again, I can't wait 5 mins at the drive through without getting pissed.

AZjohn, JLSocks and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's just you. Others have noted long turnaround times.

Given that AA's email turnaround time is less than 24 hours for a GM, even during massive irrops, UA's clearly dropping the ball here.

5. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol,
    NO WAY i would complain about that. I actually gave the stewardess a thank you card thingie. She was awesome.

It did take 7 different people 9 days to mess up my upgrade, certificate got lost, system screwed up etc, etc. Spent over 12 hours (counted) in 2 weeks to get this upgrade 18 hours before the flight, and it shouldn't be that hard.

ClarkyBoy

6. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to know the proper channel to express complaints. . 1K voice is non existent via email, and customer relations response time is one week and counting

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K, I just this week received a response to a serious complaint after a 24 day wait. The Customer Service Manager herself advised against writing an email for a problem:

"Again I am sorry we were unable to respond prior to your departure. For
    future travel needing a more immediate assistance, you may contact the
    1K help desk directly.

Call, don't write.

8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not a 1K but when I had a few issues in the past, I just used the contact us link on the site and got a response (and $200 cert) in response about 1-2 weeks later. Of course this was premerger....but just barely.

9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, you might want to edit the phone number out of your post. Yes, I know it's easily available if you Google it, but we shouldn't make it worse :D

10. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like with the new United, they only understand the language of the almighty dollar.

So one possible solution is to start flying with a competing airline and email or fax them a copy of your receipt/boarding passes.

Flyer1976, AZjohn and JLSocks like this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  12. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did use Jeff Smisek email twice last month .... AND I got a response about 8 days later from somebody
    else in his Customer Care department.

13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to make a smart a$$ post on this topic so bad, but, i shall let it pass for now. ;)

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would almost never expect a direct response from a CEO, but the point is that he can forward it to someone who can fix the issue or at least get it top-down into the right queue to fix. I used his email address once and got my issue resolved in < 24h.

YULtide likes this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here, I'll do it.

[​IMG]

ClarkyBoy and YULtide like this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to be combative here, but for me, it would have to be a BIG thing for me to do that. To the level of "I'm outta here, here's why." I'm sure Smisek has gotten plenty of "fan" mail of late, anyway.

But I am very judicious on when I send feedback to the 1K desk, positive, negative or a suggestion. Partly because of the abuse of the compensation system, and I feel messages are better sent in more extreme situations that run-of-the-mill annoyances. Plus, I'm sure they look up your history on comments too.

17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big thing is relative, though.

I haven't really said this in so many words, but here's my example: I checked on the phone about the DEQM promo for SFO-ORD before booking and twice after flying, and was told three times that I should receive the promo miles. That turned out not to be correct, but it was after 12/31 when I was told so, and I couldn't fix last year's flying at that point. So I wrote Smisek asking for the status anyway (but not the miles), which I received. I still had the opportunity to buy-up to 2P if I desired at that point, so I had an avenue if he'd said no.

If I hadn't been told different stories, I might not have raised the issue, but instead sucked it up. I had no other reason to take that pair of trips, though, and I had planned it carefully (I thought).

I also suggested a clarification in wording for subsequent similar promos that would eliminate the confusion that I, agents, and other travelers had had. In other words, I tried not only to ask for something but also to provide something useful going forward.

I think it's useful where there's been a tangle of miscommunication and people need to get their messaging straight; that kind of thing is easier to clarify top down than bottom up. Obviously, I'd try the 1K desk first.

YULtide likes this.
  18. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Lol.

19. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Double post. Slow internet sucks.

20. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, I've cc'd SMI/J on a few of my emails and have had two direct replies from his email box, written in a manner that suggests it might be him responding personally (one liners, BB or iphone type responses).

If the original email is short, upbeat and includes a solution or revenue generating idea, he seems to respond.

desamo likes this.
  21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is this person you refer to as "stewardess?" ;-)

22. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as another data point, I received a reply back this week from 1Kvoice from a e-mail a month ago.

I'm sorry, but being from the PMUA side this is just flat out sad. I would always get a response back within 48 hours.

The worst part about the reply I got back was "sorry, but we did send your 1K card out again March 30th and you should see it in 2 weeks and as a sign of goodwill you will receive a customer appreciation e-mail following this for a e-cert".

Well, a week later I have not seen my 1K card or this "customer appreciation" e-mail. :mad: Just sad to me to go through this change....

23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I write Smisek, I know it's him replying back although I do not write him for customer service issues. There's others I can get in touch with about that.

desamo likes this.
  24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find the single best way to communicate with a large travel-related company regarding a significant issue is with a well articulated written letter...sent via snail-mail....to headquarters. This has proven very successful in a number of instances for me. If you're complaining about the weight of the blankets in first class, save the stamp - but if the system just downright failed, you'll find this is the best way to go.

• With one carrier, I ended up having a forced overnight due to weather cancellations. You'd think I'm on my own, because it was weather related. Instead, I got the airline to cover my stay at the Four Seasons for a night, plus private ground transportation. The airline mis-handled things at the airport - it wasn't just weather - but had I not articulated myself so clearly, they would have just hidden behind weather. They covered my expenses, and gave me 19,000 miles to boot.
    • With one luxury hotel chain, I had a five night points stay that just went terribly wrong. The stay was downright atrocious. I wrote in to HQ afterwards; they refunded all of my points for the stay, and gave me a four night gift certificate to return to the property.

It takes a while to draft these letters...you need to make sure your assertions are well articulated and backed up with as many facts/specific times/people etc as possible. Something well written, sent high up in the organization, will invariably deliver results.

PM me if you'd like, happy to share redacted version of such a letter.

ClarkyBoy, steelgal32, AZjohn and 2 others like this.