Best way to book awards using AA with partners?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Apr 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys do you guys you use JAL/BA/or Quantas to look for awards w/ AA partners? I read a few sites and blogs and some recommended BA/JAL while some recommended Quantas. What do you guys prefer? Which site is most reliable?

Also say it's a CX award do I use a different site for the second segment? WHat are the stopover/layover rules?

2. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you value. You can always go for the cheapest price. Or do you prefer flying at a specific time/schedule. Or do you have preference on airlines?

3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's award travel w/ AA miles.

4. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually use a combination of AA's site and BA's site.

Newscience likes this.
  5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as stop overs, until a few days ago you could stop over for up to a year from the time you got your ticket at a USA international gateway city. However AA just got rid of that great perk without notice. Now I believe it is a 4 hour layover for domestic and up to 24 hours for an international flight.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Gary70

Gary70 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about layover outside of the US like Europe? Is it still permitted?

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, no longer allowed. All stopovers at the international gateway city, regardless of continent, must now be done in the alloted connection window.

Massive discussion about the changes AA did to AAdvantage without notice to customers can be found here:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/aa-changed-their-award-chart-for-july-31st.85366/

It's worth reading all the pages.

Newscience likes this.
  8. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even for award flights the fuel surcharges and taxes can vary significantly.

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, any opinion which FF program is best(if not dependent on a specific) airline?

AA- no stopover
    BA-fuel surcharges, reduced FF miles on economy fares.
    DL - 60,000 one way and 60,000 RT in coach minimum but rarely available from west coast USA to Europe
    UA - quite consistent from past program.

I fly all of the above........think AA & UA are preferable. DL is difficult to get the minimum award seats in coach or business. BA is so expensive the FF program is almost negative if used internationally.

Newscience, Max M and gregm like this.
  10. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may be wrong but it does appear that the 1 stop-over or Open Jaw is still available for roundtrip international flights on US Airways awards.

Newscience likes this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could still be possible on US--- I defer that question to others more well versed on US awards, as there is not currently a way to transfer miles between Dividend Miles and AAdvantage.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    With this change, it puts AAdvantage with an equal playing field with the carriers you listed.

The stopovers for no additional miles and OW awards were really sweet spots for AAdvantage, as others have said.

You're spot on with your analysis of BA, DL, and UA.

However despite the massive increase for new AAnytime Awards, in my research, AAdvantage is playing fair ball about not decreasing the quantity of sAAver awards that were available prior to the introduction of the new AAnytime Awards. If this continues to remain the case, then AAdvantage is still IMHO the best frequent flyer program [despite the changes] because unlike what United just did [be it though with warning] AA did not alter the requirement of miles for sAAver, [especially in premium cabins like UA did] and has not reduced sAAver availability [this does not mean that I've found UA has reduced its saver awards].

The one thing that is clear with the "new AA" is that nothing is for certain, and that anything could change quickly.

The rest of 2014 and 2015 will be interesting to watch to see how saver inventory levels remain [?] for DL and AA, considering that DL is starting 2015 with their new 5 tier award chart [which was probably the cause for AA to create new award levels]. I'm really hoping that saver inventory does not decrease for either DL or AA.

However if AA's next move is to start charging YQ on all awards [including domestic] then my loyalty to them will be saying adios, and I will solely book on what airline has the best fare for the route I'm flying.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Newscience, euromannn and flyforawg like this.
  13. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey do you know how long it takes for a ticket w/ CX to be booked on AA? Seems to be taking a while..

14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    24-48 hours, sometimes up to 72 hours.

euromannn and corz123 like this.
  15. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    are there any potential problems that can arise during the ticketing phase?

16. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    also, how do I select a seat?

17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jimmy you missed my IM to you.......

18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two options, call AA and ask them to select a seat OR call AA and get the CX record locator number and select your seats via the CX website.

Newscience and corz123 like this.
  19. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be noted that if you have AA do the seat assignment for you, with CX, AA can only assign a seat 180 days prior to your CX flight.

I'm not sure if getting the CX record locator from AA and then contacting CX would allow you to select seats more than 180 prior to the flight.

Newscience, TUMD and corz123 like this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points, also if you let AA select seats you can not change them via the CX website, so its one or the other.

Newscience, TUMD, Max M and 1 other person like this.
  21. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    good info. thanks guys!

22. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

Status Points:
    I have found the Qantas site to be the best. The AA site is severely limited. My wife and I just got back from a CX award to Thailand and there was absolutely no way to do it through the AA site.

iolaire likes this.
  23. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any site out there that allows you to search a whole month worth of inventory at at time (somewhat like UA's calendar view or BA's own calendar view for their own flights)? I'm trying to find CX space but clicking day by day in the BA search is getting tiring.....