Best Way to Accumulate AS redeemable miles

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by muflyer, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. muflyer

muflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to the AS program and I am wondering what's the best way to accumulate a significant redeemable miles balance. I am not based in an AS gateway city so I won't be flying alot. I am curious if there are sign up bonuses for the program, and certain non flying ways to accumulate miles.

Thanks!

2. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AS Visa (through Bank of America "BofA") will help --- but the strategy I'll discuss will have its own risks for Mileage Plan members who aren't Gold members.

Alaska gives a 1,000 mile booking bonus for each trip purchased on its website using the AS BofA Visa card.

What I do (but keep in mind I'm an MVP Gold --- this is where things can get seriously messed up for you) is buy two one-way tickets when I book a trip. That way I get the actual mileage for the trips, plus two 1,000 mile booking bonuses --- one for each direction).

Where non-Golds can get messed up with this strategy is if you have to make a change to your trip, you're making two changes --- each with their own set of change fees. Golds are exempt from change fees, so it's a low risk proposition for me --- a higher risk proposition for non-Golds.

The strategy will garner triple miles for short trips (e.g., GEG to SEA to GEG gets me two sets of 500 miles for flying the two segments round trip plus two 1,000 mile booking bonuses for a total of 3,000 miles).

If you're not going to be flying much, then you may wish to look at the Starwood Amex card. $20,000 of spending translates in to 25,000 miles that can be transferred into the AS Mileage Plan.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one way ticketing is the key. Double the miles for a round trip.

4. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alaska is not nearly as generous with miles as, say, Delta, but the benefit of that stinginess is far better value for your miles. Award costs on many partners are lower than those partners' own award levels, and availability on AS is easier to find than on some other carriers.

Check out http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com for some ways to earn miles without flying. The Signature card bonus, booking bonus (especially the 2x one-way), and flying as a Gold earning the 100% bonus miles are the three top ways to earn miles, but you can earn a few extras with other bonus offers as illustrated on the above site.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Dining for miles" mileageplan.rewardsnetwork.com is available in most US markets and some Canadian ones, I have not tried earning over the border yet though.

When it is restored the Mileage Plan Mall will also be a path to miles without flying.

kayet likes this.
  6. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I book a trip for someone else using my AS BofA Visa on the Alaska website, will I get the 1,000 mile booking bonus for the trip even if I'm not the passenger flying?

7. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it's tied to the ticket, so the other person will get the bonus (assuming he/she has an MVP number). However, you will still get the 3 miles per dollar for purchasing the ticket.

8. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you book two pax on the same itinerary (you and someone else) and pay for it with your AS BofA Visa, both pax get the 1,000 mile booking bonus.

9. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that just travel is rather lucrative... I don't have a huge cc spend- well most is for travel, and the rest is from the US Mint... but as an MVPG one gets a 100 percent bonus of what you fly, which adds up fast. Add on the 50K bonus at 75K status [of redeemable miles] and I can't burn them fast enough.

jackal likes this.