Best wallet that holds passport?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FlyingBear, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of somewhat optimizing my travel items and getting a travel wallet that can hold a passport, 4-8 cards and has two cash compartments and not much larger than a passport footprint. Surprisingly, there are not all that many wallets like that, so I wanted to get some feedback on which ones others have liked/used. A few that I found and liked the design, Tumi, Bellroy, are just too expensive. I was hoping to find something in under $50 range. Suggestions?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually carry a wallet in a back (occasionally front) pocket of my pants. Whenever I tried to do the same with a passport, whether or not protected by a wallet, it turned wrinkled. So I had to give up on that idea. Do you plan to carry your combo wallet in your jacket, bag, or briefcase? Have you given any thought to mitigating the risks of concentrating so many valuables in one location?

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I currently carry my wallet and covered passport(s) in the front pocket and have not had any issues with wrinkling. I thought about risk and if it gets stolen out of my front pocket... I must have been enjoying it a great deal!

4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several Passport wallets that also have places for CCs and cash, etc. LNC makes a RFID proof Passport wallet that runs about $15. DIFRwear makes one also RFID with a couple of pockets.

http://www.lcibrands.com/item.php?sn=dd98b8baae27a1064139dead8e183e65

http://difrwear.com/

Eagle Creek has passport and travel wallets as does Travelon and most other travel goods manufacturers. (there is a huge market for these)

Based on where you live, the best places to look are at map stores (like mine), luggage stores, and even places like Macy's Luggage department. Don't think you will find them at WalMart or Kmart tho.

I personally use a DIFRwear that they sent me as a demo. Pink leather. Holds both my wife and my passport as well as a couple of pockets for CCs. But I don't keep the CCs there.

FlyingBear likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input.

The LNC is barely more than a passport cover. DIRFwear is a lot closer to what I am looking for, but still falls short in the cash/receipt department. Eagle Creek doesn't have anything pocketable. Travelon has a few that are very close, but size becomes an issue. May be if I didn't see some of the expensive wallets first, I'd be better off :)

Here is one of the (expensive) wallets I am judging against: http://us.bellroy.com/products/travel-wallet#variant=cocoa&image=6

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Less fat than a wallet with all that plus a separate passport in its cover! Boarding passes are typically a separate deal for me.

8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is really risky to keep passport in a wallet! I always carry my passport in a money belt

MX likes this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where do you keep your wallet?

And this is a bit off topic from what I am asking...

10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Normally in my front pocket. If I am wearing a thick jacket, sometimes in the inside pocket of my jacket. However, my money belt also has two backup credit cards and a debit card along with some cash. In a foreign country, I rarely take chances.

11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently picked up a "Rocawear" wallet specifically for holding my passport, credit cards, etc., at Burlington Coat Factory in September 2012. It has slots for 12 cards/ID, and the passport fits inside one of internal sleeves. I recently used this on a 13 day trip to Europe and although large enough to hold all of the above, it fit comfortably in my front pocket, even when wearing jeans. I've included a picture so you can see how the passport fits inside. Since this was purchased at BCF, they may not still have it in stock...

2012-11-10 09.06.44.jpg

FlyingBear likes this.