Best VPN when traveling

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ced2718, Feb 10, 2017.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone uses a VPN when traveling and if so, which one you think is the best. I'm currently using PureVPN and I am quite happy about it, but it doesn't seem to be working on my mac and the Belgian server (the one I need the most) is quite awful. I had a look at ExpressVPN but it seemed quite expensive... Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been using PIA VPN for about two years. Very satisfied. Works on all platforms and you can have up to 5 devices active at the same time. Many servers to choose from throughout the world.

Zomby Woof and Laptop Nomad like this.
  3. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip! However it seems that they don't have any server in Belgium, which is the most important country for me. Does anyone has had any experience with NordVPN?

Laptop Nomad and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then, I guess PIA VPN isn't for you

5. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use VyprVPN and it works great. No throttling of speeds and bypasses many gov't firewalls overseas

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer mobile app

TAHKUCT and Laptop Nomad like this.
  6. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    Seems nice! Do you know if it offer a way to bypass Netflix VPN restriction as well?

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use HideMyAss and it worked better than others when I did my free trials. It has multiple Belgian locations.

As for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, they are pretty much on top of the VPN issue... Unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using InsideFlyer mobile app

TAHKUCT and Laptop Nomad like this.
  8. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    That's what I figured... PureVPN claims that have some special servers allowing you to get a connection to Netflix, but it never seems to be working. I also tried HideMyAss a while ago and I wasn't convinced by the servers, they seemed kind of slow. Maybe that changed, I might give it another try.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  9. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use express VPN. I like that it lets you put your phone and tablet as well as your computer for no extra charge. I have no problems with Netflix or Hulu on this VPN.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    Really? I found ExpressVPN to be expansive but if it includes netflix, then it's worth it for me. I will give them a try for a month I think. Thanks!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using ExpressVPN since the first of the year to access my home DVR so I can watch recorded news programs each day, as well as download entertainment for when I'm on train/plane, and have been happy so far. I'm accessing U.S. servers from Germany, Austria and Prague so far without any issues. Forget to activate the VPN on startup and my cable provider blocks me from downloading/viewing, though it will let me delete content that's out of date.

I did run some tests from home with Netflix and it recognized I wasn't properly logging in and blocked me (might have been an error referring to proxy settings). That was using U.S. servers while in the U.S. I just downloaded a bunch of content before leaving home and haven't tried to access them outside the U.S. as I have more content now than I could possibly watch.

I'm using it on a Samsung tablet and a Samsung phone.

12. Tmac100

Tmac100 Active Member

Status Points:
    I use Witopia, and have for years. Sure, I pay yearly, but I use it on 3 different computers in 2 different countries and it works wekk - on PC laptops as that is my machine type. No idea about androids etc...

I also have excellent customer service from them.

nkedel likes this.
  13. tuke

tuke Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a suggestion: Review the ownership of the VPN. Some are sketchy.

14. maralefu_mileage

maralefu_mileage Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been using Strongvpn, which has been very good for earning miles in several US sites for completing surveys, however in the last few weeks some sites such as opinionmilesclub are preventing the usage of VPNs, unfortunately

15. David Burdick

David Burdick Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you only need occasional access or have low bandwidth needs TunnelBear is a great free/pay option. Here is a great resource to compare VPNs thatoneprivacysite dot net / vpn-comparison-chart/

16. ced2718

ced2718 Member

Status Points:
    I've now been using ExpressVPN for a couple of days and I have to say I'm impressed, it's working great (it evens seem to be able to bypass Netflix restrictions). The only drawback for me is its price...

17. travellers4fun

travellers4fun Active Member

Status Points:
    I use "Uncocator".

18. nkedel
    Original Member

nkedel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm another happy Witopia customer.

One other option, for the more highly technical, is to get your own VPS with a reputable cloud provider and route your traffic through OpenVPN there. Can be done for free for a year with an AWS Micro instance, and for a briefer time on the free trial period on Azure.

19. LandingSoon

LandingSoon New Member

Status Points:
    BlackVPN is what I mainly use. No complaints or issues. Really cheap and you can pay with bitcoin.