Best Value When Booking IHG Stays

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by GoodBoy, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

How Do You Book Your IHG Stays?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2011.
  1. IHG Official Websites

88.9%
  2. Directly with the Property - Phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Third Party Sites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Travel Agents

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Amex Bonus Points Mall

5.6%
  6. Amex Selects

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I would be interested in hearing how other members book their stays?

I have been booking via amex bonus points mall to get the 3 additional bonus points, as it redirects back to official IHG booking sites, the rates seem always to be IHG priority club/ambassador rates.

I haven't used any third party sites such as expedia etc, but when i have checked those multi third party sites through Trip Advisor, I've not found any rates better than the IHG sites offer.

2. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always use IHG

3. Bob FYI

you can you use the amex bonus points mall, get 4 points total for every $ spent on the rooms excluding taxes, at the IHG rates, in fact when you use the bonus points mall it simply redirects you to the priority club website and asks if you want to login, ie to save having to enter all your data in the booking. It just traces that you arrived at the IHG website via the bonus points mall channel.

Whilst I have found this to be good value, I am hoping some other member can recommend other more rewarding alternatives.

4. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book through Quidco, ebates or Mr. Rebate, all which direct you back to the PC site and pay 5-10% rebates.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, however I presume thats for US based AMEX only?

6. yes Bob you're probably right, although you could give it a shot, no downside, although the 5-10% rebates Pete mentioned above via Quidco, ebates or Mr. Rebate sounds more attractive.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  7. Pete when you book through these sites, do you get all the PC points etc ?

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  8. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Bob Smolinsky and Tim O'Brien like this.
  9. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add fatwallet and shortcuts.com to this list at 5% each...Search results for "Intercontinental"
    I personally use fatwallet because of existing credit there.

10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I book through the IHG site with my Chase PC Visa to get the additional 5 points per $ spent. I assume you can only use the Amex points mall with an Amex card.

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use fatwallet when I remember to (shame how often I forget!) or else just the main Priority Club site.

GoodBoy likes this.
  12. I have been booking F class flights from NY to Shanghai for 120K points, they were previously costing $6K through an agent, therefore I value the amex points @ 5 cents, so effectively when i use the bonus points mall I am earning a total of four amex points per $ spent (the usual one point plus three bonus), that equates to 20 cents, or 20% discount/rebate.

eg with the 5% rebate sites - if hotel booking is $1000, you get $50 back, when i earn four amex points for the same booking, I get 4000 points, 4000 points is 3.3% of the 120K points i require for the ticket, ie equates to saving $200, 20% discount.

For me, the value I am getting from amex points redemption with airline carriers valuing the points @ 5 cents, the result is four times better than the 5% rebate sites. Even if you had a better deal and could pick up those flights @ 3k, the points would be worth 2.5 cents, and result in a 10% benefit.

If someone can point out a better value proposition for making bookings I would much appreciate it, but so far this has been the best I have been able to work out.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here
    thanks for posting, I now have some comparison work to do

GoodBoy and Clocktower like this.
  14. IMHO the four amex points is much better than the 5 PC, even PC value the airline miles (equivalent to amex) on a multiple of 3-6 PC to 1 airline mile, and amex are arguably much more valuable given the flexibility factor.

Clocktower likes this.
  15. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    sobore and Tim O'Brien like this.
  16. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quidco is now paying 10%. Also, Quidco occasionally calculates the cash back in British pounds, even though the transaction is in US dollars - - e.g granting 10GBP cashback on a US$100.00 transaction (effectively about a 16% rebate).

sobore and Tim O'Brien like this.
  17. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I book thru Big crumbs, which takes you to the IHG website.
    However I never get credit, and have to submit a ticket everytime to get the credit.
    Not sure if it's becasue sometime reservations are made weeks or monhts ahead of time before they actually bill.

anyone else have problems with IHG credit on Big Crumbs.

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quidco is the way to go if you can access a UK bank account. Up to 10% back depending on the rate on the day you book, and you will find a 2-4-1 stay often pays out based on the full price, so effectively 20% back (or 16% if they adjust for the VAT)!

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  19. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to try out Quidco
    How can I enter in a certain rate code that will also get me the cashback?

GoodBoy likes this.
  20. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    For rates like the 2-4-1, you need to set it up as a Favourite in your browser. Clear cookies, go into Quidco, go into PC, then bring up the Favourites link and book. It should still track OK. However, you won't know until after check-out as nothing shows in your account until then.

GoodBoy likes this.
  21. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whew, I feel encouraged as a newbie that I managed to not totally screw it up. :) As Sweet Willie says, I use my PC Visa for the 5x points.

Tim is correct in that overall the AMEX points are better, but in my case I would have just turned around and transferred them to PC, so in this case not so much.

GoodBoy likes this.
  22. for those that use for F class for long haul flights, Amex can be worth anywhere from four to five cents when referencing against discounted F class tickets available and upwards to a lot more when referenced against non discounted F tickets. Arguably the five PC points are worth three cents but with amex bonus points mall you get four points total per $ spent, ie 16 to 20 cents back or 16-20% discount however you like to look at it versus the three cents or 3% with PC Visa points. I am yet to find a better or most effective solution, if anyone could point out a better channel/value proposition elsewhere I'd jump on it. You put that together with F&F or advanced purchase, with RA benefits and it's a good deal.

23. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait.. doesn't bonus points mall list it as 3X? If I recall the way BPM works is not that you get 1X + 3X BPM Bonus.. that when they say '3X' they actually mean 3X TOTAL, meaning "your regular 1X plus 2X" I used to see this listed clearly (well, in the fine print) on the old bonuspointsmall.com site, but since the.. ahem.. 'upgrade'.. I haven't been able to find it.

Of course they also flushed away the very useful account page at bonuspointsmall.com, which would be another way to confirm it.

GoodBoy likes this.
  24. they list it as 4 x bonus points per $ spent, but in reality you get the regular point plus three bonus, a total of four points

25. clocktower, i just noticed if I'm not logged in does show three points, i have a plat card which must make it four as after i logged in, showed four bonus

Clocktower likes this.