Best Value Redemptions ex-SIN?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Saracen, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once I hit OZ*G (on my next trip), I won't have the pressure of having to earn miles for another year or so, and hence, am now thinking of trying out some redemptions. The only ones I've ever done were a simple LHR-DUB, and a SIN-BKK. I wanted to find out from people here what might be the best value redemptions in C or F ex-SIN, taking into account expected availability. I don't want to burn a whole tonne now, but want to get an idea of the creative routings and/or glitches that might result in maximal value, on this side of the world. Any tips?

Edit: and yes, I realise I can't redeem on newer SQ planes, but found TG to be pretty good in the past.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    TG availability is outstanding. So you do need the hop over to BKK but then the world is your oyster. Or at least Europe and Asia.

I love TG F redemptions because of the ground service at Bangkok especially, the massage before the flight is a great way to start off a long-haul. Bangkok - Paris is even served by the Jet Airways 777 so suites with doors... (one of the Tokyo flights gets this as well)

Now, Singapore first class awards DO exist. Especially for just one passenger. And on the regional 777s.

TuxTraveller and Saracen like this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those SQ F awards would only be on the 777-200s, no? How is the hard product? Didn't like a C redemption I took on SIN-BKK.

4. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a picture of the regional SQ First Class cabin
    [​IMG]

5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not great, then. I'll probably stick to TG then. Which European carriers have a good F product and availability through SIN?

6. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could only find LH to SIN and the F hard product is not great.
    You'd better connect by BKK and have a better choice with TG to main european cities or LX to ZRH (or sometimes TK (77W) to IST).

7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I guess none of United's planes are worth it in F. When will EK or QR join *A?!

The other thing I'd love to to one day is NZ in C, but a hop to HKG is already a pretty long flight.

8. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it would be great if EY, EK or QR could join *A [​IMG]
    NZ C is a very good product and worth to try !

9. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a regional flight, the seat is fine. It's marginal if you want to sleep, but on a shorter sector you probably wouldn't want to do that anyway. It's the service that is the whole point of the experience - and it is excellent.

It's unfortunate that SQ has pulled F service to BKK - otherwise that would have been a good way to start a redemption ex-SIN, connecting to another carrier in BKK.

One other thing - don't forget that you are allowed stopovers. If you wanted to try NZ C and think SIN-HKG-AKL is too long in one go, you could always fly SIN-HKG, take a two-day break, and then continue onward HKG-AKL.

Saracen likes this.
  10. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also don't forget that LH F has a premium 10k miles surcharge on the DC award chart [​IMG]

11. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worse, no cash & points!

12. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes that too, but not sure which is worse.. I do know the combination of the two has made me not redeem any DC miles for LH F and until just this month I hadn't redeemed for any LH flights full stop as I kept avoiding them..

Though looking at it from a positive light, if they keep the DC redemption chart the same going forward then I can live with the penalties on LH F redemptions.. better to be grateful for what you have I always say :D