Best Uses Of Australian American Express Points

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Think about how frustrating it is to book award tickets to Australia. Now just imagine every trip you plan involving getting to or from Australia. This probably explains why PointsPros receives so many award requests from "down under." ;) I can appreciate the frustrations many people have with Qantas Frequent Flyer points, which seems to be the general mileage currency many Australians have. In general, non-US loyalty programs tend to be more expensive, harder to navigate, and less of a bargain (i.e. fuel surcharges). For those with Australian-issued American Express cards that accrue Membership Rewards points, we have much greater success completing bookings. Australian Membership Rewards points transfer to nine airline partners, and while not all are great, I’m especially fond of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and Virgin Australia Velocity. These programs tend to have the award seats clients need to take their trips in a premium cabin. I’m going to briefly run through each of the Australian AMEX transfer partners with transfer ratios, links to their award charts (if available), and my general thoughts. It is worth mentioning that Australia has a few different Membership Rewards programs -- this is geared towards those in the Ascent or Ascent Premium programs. Ascent Premium members can technically transfer to Qantas Frequent Flyer, but there are likely better options, as I'll explain shortly. The post Best Uses Of Australian American Express Points appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...