Best Uses of Alaska miles

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by aussieflyer, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not all too familiar with the program but with the the amount of partners and the way their award chart is set up, there seems to be a fair few really good deals.

Personally, I like the fact that I can fly CX to Australia. With QF so stingy with seats and AA not allowing routingsvia Asia, this is great.

One of the best deals has to be, 140k miles on CX F from North America to South Africa.

So, what are the other hidden secrets?

ranman1973 likes this.
  2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a premium cabin redemption, but I think those AA off-peak awards to Europe and Deep South America for 40K in coach is a good deal...

Also CX in F for HKG-AKL for 90K is not bad... The QF intra-Oceania J award is decent... You can fly from AKL-PER for 40K :)

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2 F tickets anywhere AS goes, along with a hotel and rental car voucher for 40K miles. A great award. I have redeemed a few of those. (Sorry, mental lapse from about 20 years ago.) These days, I think the LAN J award is the best thing going. Between F (no longer around) and J, over the past 10 years, I've probably redeemed 2 million MP miles on LA.

4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the awards to Australia, too. I find that while QX doesn't have award seats, sometimes AS does. And the AS award desk folks are super patient and quite knowledgeable.

Of course, it helps that I am at an AS gateway as you can't mix and match award partners (that is, while you can fly AS to LAX or SFO for the connection to the QF flight, but you can't fly DL to LAX or SFO)

5. Denali Flyer
    Original Member

Denali Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS has five ways to get from Australia to North America:

Air Pacific
    Cathay Pacific (F)
    Delta
    Korean Air
    Qantas (F)

The likelyhood of one of them having seats is far greater than with Qantas and CX and KE should allow you that Asian stopover. Happy contrails!

6. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying QX to Australia sounds like quite an adventure.

QL

Exiled in Express likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That Cathay pacific first class award, North America to South Africa via Asia (stopover in Hong Kong!) for 140k, is just a tremendous value.

8. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    T[​IMG]hat's why they serve drinks, right?

(Of course, I meant QF!) QX = Horizon (soon to be completely integrated into Alaska)

9. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least you get free beer.

QL

10. ANC RED-EYE

ANC RED-EYE Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of good values within the AS network:

the intra state awards, and partner awards within Alaska have afforded me more than one trip that retails for $1000 at a redemption rate of 15K miles. Granted, these are by no means glamorous flights...but if you have reason or interest in going to some very remote and obscure places, AS miles are by far the best value to get there.

Additionally, the fact that 1/way awards are allowed throughout the network offers a great deal of flexibility

PedroNY, alphaeagle and kayet like this.
  12. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    If comfort and flexibility is more important than cost, BA J/F are very good products, and fairly decent availability, if you're willing to part with a big chunk of miles and those pesky fuel surcharges.

13. Sometimes when a super saver or choice coach award isn't available on AS, super saver First awards are available. There have been a number of times when I've flown up front on points for less than it would have cost me to fly in back, so it's always worth checking.

14. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oneway awards with stopovers, pancakes optional. [​IMG]

PedroNY and kayet like this.
  15. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a trip to New Zealand in late 2012 and have been assuming I'd use some of my AS miles for a couple of F or C tickets on QF. As a test run, I waited until the 330-day cutoff and then called AS to see if I could do it for this coming December. No go. No QF seats from mid-December to mid-January. Nor on any of the other four airlines. This may throw into doubt my plan for award seats over the holidays, when soon-to-be-Mrs. Seaflyguy will almost certainly have a week's free vacation from work. Any suggestions for how to work the system?

16. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what I was going to say. Anyone know about the Era redemption at 10k points? Can you redeem for places like Point Hope and Barter Island. They are now served by "Era."

17. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    50K for F from MIA-SEA-ANC-ADK or BOS-PDX-ANC-ADK is a good deal

PedroNY likes this.
  18. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure about the rest, but for CX, you can sign-up as a member of Asia Miles and check CX's availability. Granted a seat available for CX's members is not guaranteed for partners' members (although almost always they are), you will at least have an idea before you call AS.

sniklec likes this.
  19. Another great reward redemption I want to try is Kenmore Air from Seattle to Victoria, BC. It's only 10,000 miles round trip. Has anyone done this yet?

20. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    If you can get it, Delta's Business Elite to Australia is only 105k versus Delta's 150k. May be useful for a last minute trip of short duration.

PedroNY, AlaskaAir738 and jackal like this.
  21. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    Cathay's YVR-JFK can be had for 50k rt in business - the same as AS first class saver to EWR. Better availability from about one month in, obviously better comfort. 70k rt for CX First. Possible downside: redeye YVR-JFK and late arrival JFK-YVR.

AlaskaAir738 and jackal like this.
  22. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, one more: Business class to Kilimanjaro (KIA) for 120k on AF/KLM.

PedroNY, AlaskaAir738 and jackal like this.
  23. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a decent deal, sure blows DL/AA domestic F for the same amount of mils in J...

24. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our favorite AS award was 4 BA business/first class tickets SEA/LHR/AGP/BCN/PMI/LHR/SEA for a two week family trip back in 1998. I remember that if we had bought those tickets, they would have cost over $60,000.00 total, but I don't remember how many miles we used.

We just recently got 2 first/biz class AA tickets SEA/SJU for 30,000 AS miles each and that seemed like a pretty smoking deal. We also booked SEA/EZE AA tickets using AS miles for next September, but I don't remember how many miles it took.

We have UA, AA, AS and Delta miles so I always check all possiblities before I book. I also have a bunch of Starwod and HH points, but I guest I am saving them for hotels. I also have a bunch of AMEX Accolades miles/points, whatever they are, but I have never thought about what to do with them. I have heard you can just turn them in for money. That sounds pretty decent. ;)

PedroNY and ranman1973 like this.
  25. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA F on ANC-LHR-SIN-SYD-SIN-LHR-ANC, with a stopover in SIN, was a steal for 150,000 miles. It would have cost $27,000 each for the two of us to do (fall of 2008).

Unfortunately, that award was pulled and is no longer available. :(

Looking at CX to JNB via HKG for 140,000. Hope I can find the time to get in on that before they realize the value of that award, too! :D