Best use of various points/miles

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by brettmna, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brettmna

brettmna New Member

Status Points:
    I would like to plan a trip for my wife and I for this summer. I currently have around 10k Hyatt points, 55k Delta miles, 52k Amex MR, and 120k Chase UR. Is there any great way to combine all of these points to create an awesome trip to where we would pay virtually nothing out of pocket? I know there are ways to transfer points to different Airlines or Hotel brands from my current point, but don't know how to get the best value. We would like to go somewhere exotic with a beach preferrably or a big city to explore. Any ideas?

GoodBoy and tommy777 like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you have miles/points scattered throughout different programs, the only thing I can come up with are two Business Class tickets to Europe.

1. Transfer 45K AMEX MR to your DL account so you have 100K DL, which is enough for a r/t ticket to Europe.
    2. Transfer 80K Chase UR to your Korean Air account, since they require 80K for a r/t ticket to Europe.

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to check for availability before transferring miles into a program that may not have the seats you want for the summer (high season).

Also, the remaining UR points could be transferred to Hyatt for award nights if you end up going somewhere Hyatt actually has hotels.

MX, GoodBoy and Counsellor like this.
  4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    why not Japan? or somewhere in Asia? easier to get availability with DL miles I think.

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just mentioning what came to mind..

kyunbit likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh ok. I thought maybe I was missing something.

7. brettmna

brettmna New Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the input. I am intrigued by Asia. Is there a city that will provide a big city to explore and beautiful beaches to enjoy?

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ko Phi Phi, Thailand would be my wife's choice for the beaches, and then Singapore as the large metro area would be one of my top choices. Of course, I have a shellfish allergy, so I'm a little nervous about China or Japan from what I've read.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    in my experience, big cities & beautiful beaches don't go together. A big city metropolis would usually destroy the beautiful beach setting.
    If you wanted something like that; I would suggest Thailand. BKK is great big Asian city to explore. Then you could take a cheap flight to southern Thailand (Phuket/Koh Samui/Krabi) for a few days to see the beaches and islands. I just did that (BKK & Krabi) & RT on AirAsia for 2 people came up to $150.00 USD.