Best use of UA points for Europe travel

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tonibologna 14, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tonibologna 14

tonibologna 14 Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I have a small stash of UA points, about 80,000 to be precise. We want to go to Europe this coming December. We don't even care where! We just want to get there with the very least amount of points possible! By December we should have a lot more points! We also want to take our 3 small boys, who at the time will be 6, 3, and 1. I'm wondering if someone could give me the absolute "cheapest" points scenario possible for getting all 5 of us to Europe! Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe 80K miles will be enough for the whole family, but would be for one person. A dummy booking from JFK to one of my favorite European cities, Prague, traveling in economy in August, would require 60K saver award miles per person roundtrip (all on LH). It would require at least 60K miles/person regardless of when you travel...

edekba likes this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any credit cards earning Ultimate Rewards points?

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think with your party of 5; you'll need 4 ticketed seats (the 1yr old doesnt have to pay i believe right?)

you'll need 240k UA miles for a RT for the 4 of you. In your case; I would probably look at buying 2 tickets & 2 award tickets. 120k miles + 2 paid fares (I would think you would want the paid fare for yourself so that you earn miles that you can use in the future and use the award tickets on your kids)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    While this can be nice from a cost perspective, both on points and cash, it can be a challenge to match the award and revenue flights. That would be bad.

Also try to avoid flying back to the USA from the UK (though BFS is OK) as the taxes will be much higher. Similarly, transiting Germany will hit your pocketbook pretty hard relative to some other countries.

edekba and boondr like this.