Best Use of SWU Delta?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by robertw477, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just turned Diamond recently. WOndering if it makes sense for me to get the 6 SWU certs. When I checked I see they are only good on some coded fares. My 350.00 MIA-LAX would be 800 if I wanted to use the cert. Are there are good uses of these certs? Just wondering before I call them.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most international flights require M-fares, which are much more expensive than the cheapest available coach fares unless you are buying last minute or need to buy a flexible fare.

Domestic flights require a k fare, which is a "mid-range" fare, but typically still notably more expensive than L/U/T. Also, for it to make sense there needs to be a real risk of missing the upgrade (how are you on that route? I know LAX can be a tough upgrade in general.

MIA-LAX should not be that big of a difference. Cheapest T-fare is 326+taxes round trip, cheapest K fare is 248 one-way, plus taxes, so under $550 round trip I think. Are you trying to upgrade an existing reservation? Maybe they are also looking to charge a change fee?

Big-spenders who spend their money or that of others on refundable tickets routinely find the certificates valuable. Those who do not want to pay an often-significant premium do not.

3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hold them until I have an itinerary that I had to book that was also eligible for them. Last year I was able to use my certs on two out of about 40 one-way trips. Still worth it since I would have booked those fares anyway and each of them included LAX-ATL as the first segment which is a hard upgrade sometimes.

mtkeller likes this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get the certs and then trade them to DL apologists for UA MP or AA AAdvantage miles. :cool:

DiverDave likes this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's if anyone wants the worthless PMUs in the first place...

6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally - I do not think the certs are of value. I take the free ones, but do not take more than that for the "gift." For that I take the miles. If you don't mind paying a bit more, I'd suggest the longer domestic flights. For international J, sometimes discounted fares are cheaper than the upgradeable ones. The other alternative, W (Air France econ +) to J cabin is not a bad deal.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does that still exist?

8. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    as a domestic-flying platinum, i take the SWU's. i consider them equivalent to 12,500 miles each, since they're equivalent to domestic mileage upgrades, which i will gladly do on transcons if available.. that means they're the best option for me as long as i manage to make good use of two..

on my BOS-LAX trip next week, i'm flying U out and K back, so i made sure i got a flight back with RP availability... (even more amazing, the carefully-chosen flight out in U actually cleared both legs at the 6-day window!)

9. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used them to Rio (GIG). Coach was ~$1k, M Fare ~$2k, and First was $5-8k depending on fare class. They had good availability, so long as you didnt depart either way on a weekend. It definitely beat using miles to upgrade, internationally.

But as Brazil heats up with the world cup and olympics, you might see these begin to fade away. A friend of mine who works for delta said that Brazil was restricted for employee travel, because they are flying a lot of weight-sensitive cargo these days.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, DL SWUs aren't transferrable. They can only be used by you or a travelling companion in the same cabin on the same flights and on the same PNR. The single PNR requirement seems to be enforced more than it was previously.

11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until they re-ticket you for some reason and then you end up on seperate PNR's. I haven't tried to call back to get them put back in the same PNR, but I imagine that may be a call and hang-up until I get someone from Chisolm.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it can be done other than by starting all over and booking a completely new set of tickets. If the same fare classes aren't available or if one is inside advanced purchase requirements, no longer meets minimum stay requirements, has fares requiring a RT and has flown the outbound, etc., it would be a big mess!

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    M fare has been slightly over $3700 for the last two months. Cheapest coach has been around $1300 or so. There is no FC but Business has not been below $5000 for several months. One year ago Z was usually available for paid business at about $3300, but now Z, when available, is about $5000. Overall DL seems to have raised refundable/premium fares by about 100% during the last year. I have been on the route three times during the last month and am on four more times this year. It is not fun paying the price, but the seats are all full all the time.

14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past, it was well known - ahem, to some best in class customers anyway - that a customer could book both her/himself as SWU-sponsor and another pax on the same PNR, having ensured UG bucket was available and SWU's processed immediately, then call back within the 24-hour postbooking window and cancel one pax from the res...as long as the agent didn't inspect too closely, the remaining pax would still be flying the SWU-ed itin..... OLCI and avoiding any further CSR interaction was of course the best plan, as it is still with many "fragile" itins. Of course, this technique was risky, since the remaining res would be undermined by any change action at all, esp. irops - but then, even the PM/DM gamers flying BE on SWU'ed itins are not immune from op-down and denied boarding on DL.

"Experienced frequent flyers of international airlines" know these things.... Muahahaha!