Best use of SPG points

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by deant, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What is the best use of points that anyone has had? It can be either on a cents per point basis or any other basis that you felt was important.

Let the fun begin.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using my 25% off redemption cert earned/selected last year for five nights (for the price of four) at W Hong Kong, category 5, including 10% service charge. Should have been 60,000 points but I paid about 37,000 for a period when the best rate for a standard room was approximately $400 + 10% per night. I was upgraded to a cool corner the first night, then moved to a corner suite (both on high floors with fun views) and used my 4 pm checkout privileges before checking in for my evening flight and then returning to go to the airport using the Airport Express from the station below the hotel.

I'm sure I could have done better in certain luxury SPG properties, but for me it worked well, especially since I spent the three previous nights in the Peninsula under a special FHR rate that gave me one night's rate worth of F & B credits but required that I stay for exactly three nights.

3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it was where the cost to buy points (with the promotion) to get the desired room with points was cheaper than paying cash for the room.....

sobore and Derek like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people love the cash and points redemptions, but I'm nervous about doing them because they don't receive stay and nights credit. Until I see where I'll be on Plat requalification at the end of the year, I'd rather do either all cash or all points, so that I don't have so many nights/stays that don't count.

5. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Pulitzer Hotel at Amsterdam. 12,000 points a night, the room was going for $500/night, they upgraded me to a fantastic top floor, canal room, that room rate was around $700+ night, I would have to say it was worth 12,000 SPG points.

6. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grande Bretagne Athens, Greece upgraded to a suite overlooking the Acropolis back when it was a Cat. 4 with 5th night free on points.

sdcarver

7. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Westin Excelsior Florence, Italy upgraded to Presidential Suite overlooking the Arno River with HUGE Terrace back when it was a Category 4 as well.

sdcarver

8. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    argh =D

i got butler floor (champagne and breakfast) at sheraton park tower as gold, on 12K points

sdcarver likes this.
  9. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to top it off, I was a lowly gold at that time (My first vaction using points.... Luck of the draw I guess :) Needless to say I was hooked after that trip :)
    sdcarver

10. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a newly minted plat (Feb.) so since then I have not had to worry about stay credits, though that will change again next year. Anyhow, I have not had any spectacular redemptions or anything, but was pretty happy when I booked a C&P stay that netted me about 4.5 cents a point. I pretty regularly do C&P stays where I get 3 cents per point.

11. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    my post was first (and only so far) hotel award trip as well, using amex signup bonus.

12. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cash and Points are always a great deal!

13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have only done one -- but after a long series of stays last month which got me within 1 stay of requalifying for Plat, I opted for C&P at the Sheraton LaGuardia East. Best rate I could find was $207, so I got 3.675 cents per point. Not stellar, but I had just accumulated about 33,000 points in the previous month, so I was feeling flush with points and short of cash. Still have more than 6 months to pick up that one more stay, so..

14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    People use points for stays? ;)

Most of my most recent SPG redemptions have been on FWNs, and I have upcoming nights that I won in a contest. My SPG redemptions were down due to Discover America promos that I used for nights in Italy, BCN, and Lake Tahoe. My Starpoints balance is higher than ever.

In the last 2 years, I think that all of my Starpoints redemptions might have been C&P or Cat2 weekend awards. Earlier this year: Cat4 C&P at Westin Riverfront during peak ski season when nightly rates were running $350+ and before the category rose to Cat5.

sobore likes this.
  15. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a clutch usage about a year ago, used points for a weeklong trip to Rome with Mrs. Jslo. Stayed at the St. Regis there, and was upgraded to an unbelievable suite with a butler. I checked online at the time and I think it was running about 900€ per night ($1300 USD)...I used up all my points but so what. Trip of a lifetime for a week in Rome in a suite, with a butler on speed dial at the St. Regis. Good times. I have gone through a lot of points, but that one stands out.
    St. Regis Rome

SC Flier likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes C&P- particularly in Asia there can be some very good values during peak seasons.

Sometimes in cities where there is a large trade fair/event taking place that cause prices to skyrocket (Milano during fashion week or Frankfurt during the Auto trade shows are very good point values compared to >600 EUR per night).

NYC can also be a good deal depending on what is going on in the city.

17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very true. I wonder if anyone has been able to score a New Years Eve reward night in NYC. (Great use of points)

18. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not? Many NYC hotels have standard availability for this coming NYE. For Times Square locations, a 2-night minimum may be in effect. (Element NY TS West is 12K/nt with min 2-night stay on 12/30/2011 - 1/1/2012. 4.0 cpp)

19. Patrick

Patrick Active Member

Status Points:
    25% off point redemption (36000 points instead of 48000) for a 4 night stay at W Hong Kong.
    Hopefully being a platinum would also give me an even better use of these pure SPG points.

20. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I generally don't use my points for stays, this year I found myself about 8 stays short of requalifing for 2012 Platinum. My local Sheraton was offering a C&P for $30 and 1600 points, so for $240 and 8,800 points (I always choose the 500 points as my Bonus), I'm done. I've still got over 190,000 points in my account and figure I may just continue to do this once or twice a month into next year as 'insurance' for 2013 Platinum;)

dhammer53, Toula and SC Flier like this.