Best use of miles on partner airline, etc.?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure I've seen threads discussing this before, but of course now that i'm thinking about it cannot find anything.

Can anyone link me to discussion or a blog entry looking into the optimized use of miles from various airlines on their own metal and partner airlines?

What I'm interested in particular is how to make better use of my 17k Delta miles while I'm away from the US for a little while. While a domestic round trip at 25k is on-par with other US legacy carriers, is there any use for Delta miles outside of the US?

Similarly I was recently quoted 50k AA miles for an AKL-SIN round trip, while on UA the quote was 60k MP miles. For me 10k is a lot of miles that would take a while to collect, so knowing this in advance its easier to decide which program to use on which route.

I really enjoyed redeeming my BA miles both on CX flying to Asia and LAN flying to the south america and south pacific. And always recommend this to others... So do any consolidated threads discussing this exist?

Cheers,
    --Russ

2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some tickets that you could afford with 17k DL miles:
    • Intra-Hawaii flight (10k)
    • Korea domestic flight (10k)
    • Japan-Korea flight (15k)
    However these would all be pretty cheap to buy outright, so I think you could get much more value by getting an otherwise expensive US domestic ticket for 25k.

There are pretty substantial pricing differences between different programs. There are also substantial differences in the selection of carriers and routing. That 50k round trip from AKL to SIN using AA miles would probably involve a layover in Australia, while the 60k round trip using UA miles could be nonstop. That flight between Japan and Korea which is 15,000 DL miles would be 25,000 UA miles, but UA miles allow a choice between three airlines rather than two.

A coach ticket between the US and Japan costs 70,000 DL miles, but only 45,000 to 65,000 ANA miles (depending on distance) -- but ANA, like many airlines outside the US, has separate fuel surcharges on awards which add a few hundred dollars to the price.

I don't think you could fit all of this in a thread unless you were focusing on particular programs or markets.

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    what you outlined above is good general info, of course when it comes to MP or FT hardly anyone wants to fly coach on a long haul, so you can make an argument that even in that sense I'm the exception.

the 15k DL miles from Japan to Korea is good to know, I can actually use that for the Korean Grand Prix! thanks for mentioning it... when I was in Tokyo in October I met a FlyerTalker who found it cheaper to fly from Seoul to Singapore then Tokyo than direct, and she's got status on Delta... wonder if she knew it would only cost her 15k.