Best Use of IHG PC Points?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Kalboz, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the recent Big Win promo, I added a small chunk of PC points to my account for a total of 250K+ points. And with recent wave of devaluations, I am looking to redeem soon and searching for the best possible use. I am aware of the following options for the PC points:
    • PointBreaks – 5K point/night hotels
    • Last Minute Rewards Nights
    • Regular room night redemption & cash + points
    • Purchase ICH Ambassador status for 32K PC points
    • Convert 10K PC points to 2K miles on many airlines
    I am looking to redeem for 3-4 nights in a suite with benefits at the InterContinental Hotel Bangkok ... is this doable in the upcoming high season (late December - early January)? How many PC points will this cost?

BTW, I am a lowly Platinum in the PC program. All suggestions and any suite redemption experiences are welcome! :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. Try and book it on points and see what comes up. That property was at 30K points per night some months back. I only use points when the rate gets above a certain level like the IC's in London where you don't get the 10X as in NA. IIRC the BKK IC is usually pretty cheap, under $150 per night.

Rosalia and Travelsavant like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    IC BKK is one of the most expensive high end properties on the Bangkok market. The rate for 67 sqm corner room (1 KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SUITE) with club lounge benefits is $521++ per night (F&F rate is $354++ and Government rate is $379++) during the period sought. The lowest priced room for this property on igh.com, King Grande Deluxe, is around $269++ per night during the same period. The ++ equals 17.7%.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    About Again and Travelsavant like this.
  4. So the price has gone up from last year by about 20%, but closer in it generally gets cheaper or it has in the past. I will also have access to a BOGO as one of my associates has two of them if we go back this coming January

5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    IC BKK gives almost zero benefits on reward stays (kind of like most ICs in Australia)

not long ago I contacted them specifically about RA benefits

1.Guarantee Early C/IN 08.00 hrs. best of the benefits
    2.Free high speed internet in the room already free
    3.Free in-room DVD movies BKK is not the place to sit in your room watching movies
    4.Guarantee Late Checkout till 16.00 hrs. not a huge break
    5.Set up fresh fruit and mineral water everyday the bare minimum
    6.Complimentary Red wine upon check in nice gesture but it will almost surely be a Boone's Farm grade of wine
    7.Complimentary welcome drink at Balcony Lounge very exciting this.........
    8.700 THB Discount SPA voucher at 36thfloor no reason to use IC spa, many great places around town
    9.Daily newspaperBangkokPost or Herald Tribune or Nikkei and this offer is just too exciting....

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    $221 is hardly the $150 rate you mentioned .... but they also must had floods or some kind of political turmoil during the time you visited as January is definitely part of the high season which runs November through February.
    Thank you for the detailed report.

We will be requesting a suite to include club lounge benefits with daily breakfast, refreshments, and evening cocktails. The question is: has anyone booked a suite with benefits in the past? And if so, how to book it? through the IHG 800 number, or directly with the property?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    About Again likes this.
  7. Just checked my bill from this past Jan. and it was $180.18 per day all taxes in with base room rate being about $145 CDN allowing for currency exchange. I never realized how much tax and service charges they add to the room rates there, around $33 a day. Even with the rate quoted for this coming January that is still a much better rate than you were given.

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the best of of these options to be PointsBreaks (duh). I think my last IHG award booking was at an IAD-area property on a weeknight when other places had unusually high rates. That's normally an inexpensive hotel market, but for only 5k points, an award booking seemed just the thing. If I found a vacation destination (and property) that merited a longer stay, I'd consider that, too.

There are also the occasional Flash Sales. Those can bring award prices down to just over the PointsBreak level, which is still tempting.

Kalboz and viguera like this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will stay there Dec. 30th for 1 night, used free night certificate for one room and 25000 points for the other room. Since then room availability has changed and now no rooms are available same night. Another place I am using the 25000 points is the IC Hua Hin.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't what I was given, this is the published rate for this hotel on ihg.com for the period of 12/26 to 12/30. I am sure you have some kind of corporate code that you are using to reflect the lower rate.

About Again and guinnessxyz like this.
  11. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot book a suite with IHG, they only have standard rooms available. If you want to be in a suite, you will need to contact the property and request an upgrade. You can indicate that you are willing to purchase the Ambassador Status from them as that is the status associated with the IC brand.

While YMMV, most of the times, there will be a cash charge for the upgrade. If you do not want to pay cash and secure the suite ahead of time, you can book the standard room and hope for an upgrade when you arrive. However, since you indicate that you will be staying during a high occupancy time, I would not expect a complimentary upgrade.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was thinking of secure messaging to the property to offer 80K PC points per night for a suite with benefits, whaddya think? Good use for points?

About Again likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are using an IBM code for this rate .... as I stated you getting a discount per corporate rate.

About Again likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.... Good catch Kalboz.

Kalboz and Rosalia like this.
  15. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as Incan tell, this is a 35,000 point property. You could offer to book 2 rooms and have them combine it into a suite.

IHG usually does not have the ability to take additional points for upgraded.

At least with 2 rooms, they could give you connecting rooms and create a "suite" that way. Then the only other issue is lounge access.

You can also offer to buy ambassador status from them. If you are staying for several days, then the $200 could be worth the cost.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noted ... and it is a great suggestion thank you, however, benefits won't be included, right?

I have enough to cover 2 rooms for 3 nights at this property (210K points) plus buying the Ambassador status outright for 32K points for a grand total of 242K. Now all I need is someone kind enough that will "invite" me to become a Royal Ambassador to get the benefits covered. I listed my request here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/ihg-royal-ambassador-invitation-name-your-price.75383/

17. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best approach is to use your points for a 1000 ihg gift card, then book the rooms, and all your ra benefits kick in... That is what I typically do.

1000 card - 260000 points
    10% rebate = 26000
    25 x points as ra = 25000
    Should get about 4 qualifying nights which is worth another 3k

So the actual costs is closer to 200000 points, for 4 nights, but you get the ra benefits....

About Again and Kalboz like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great ... but what is the 1000 ihg gift card? and, how do you get it?

About Again likes this.
  19. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Kalboz likes this.