Best Use of Hyatt Free Nights In the US?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by perryplatypus, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many of you I got in the on the new Hyatt card and now have two free nights to use them. I know I can get the best value out of them if I use at a international destination but I like to go on quick weekend getaways with Mrs. Perryplatypus. So I was curious what everyone thought would be the best use of the free nights domestically?

aptraveler and uggboy like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your style, either Park Hyatt or Andaz would be best for a weekend getaway.

You could try to find the most expensive hotel (in terms of the room rate you would otherwise obtain) where you can use the free nights, but if that isn't someplace you want to go, it's a pointless calculation.

I would start from your (and your wife's) interests and try to find a redemption that makes you both happy. The most "valuable" use is silly if it isn't something you want and a location where you want to spend a weekend. Relax!

aptraveler, uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  3. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    We're pretty adventurist and like to visit new places. I am just looking for some suggestions of some places we may have not thought of since we typically stay at SPG properties and not at Hyatt's.

4. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the new card!

If you wanted to share some of yours or Mrs. Perryplatypus's dream vacation locations/favorite cities in the U.S., when you two are thinking about traveling, if you two prefer the beach or the country side, if you two want to feel like you're close to civilization or in a disconnected paradise, etc.-- it might help narrow down the wide arrange of selections! :)

Personally, without knowing anything about your location or aspirations, if I had to spend those nights domestically, I would opt for the Grand Hyatt NY in New York City, where rates start at roughly $341/night, or the Hyatt 48 Lex in NYC, where rates start at $469/night. (And depending on if the travel is this year or not, there are two new NYC Manhattan properties that are scheduled to open in a few months. The Union Square one would be fun if your travel is going to be past October.)

But my choice is probably because I live in San Francisco, and I always have a great time visiting NYC. I also like the busy city life, and my idea of a weekend getaway or vacation revolves completely around good food rather than beaches and island paradise. If you live in NY or near NY, then your weekend getaway might not quite be the same idea as mine. ;)

5. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    We live right smack dab in the middle of the country and fly out of DFW. I would be using the stays sometime next year and have a lot of flexibility since we plan to use it on a long weekend. I think the one big thing we look for in a destination is FOOD. My wife and I are total foodies. We just went to San Francisco and Sonoma a few weeks ago and we were in food heaven. New York is a great option we have not been there together in a few years. Too bad there aren't any Hyatts in Portland Maine or in downtown Portland OR for that fact! If it's not a food destination then we would be looking for a beach destination :)

6. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome! Always fun to hear from other foodies. :)

SF is a great city for food adventures and so is LA. But truth be told, if you're looking for food adventures, I still don't think you can beat NYC. Knowing that you two are huge foodies, I'm going to reinforce my recommendation for the NYC properties. Since you're going next year, I'd recommend the Union Square one. Perfect location within walking distance to just about everything.

The only other thing I'd recommend--which you probably are on top of--would be to map out the adventure using review sites. Personally, I'm a huge Yelper, so I would definitely recommend Yelping your way through NYC.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree that the new properties would probably be interesting to try mostly because they'd be brand new, but location-wise in NYC it's gonna be hard to beat the Grand Hyatt. I mean it's right on top of Grand Central, so you can't get much better than that.

Union Square is cool, but other than the (often rat-infested) park across the street, the movie theater and walking to the Village there's nothing much to do around there. Hell, I'd even propose that the Andaz Wall St. is more tourist friendly because it's right by the Seaport and the Statue / Battery Park / WTC. :)

But don't get me wrong, I myself am looking forward to trying out the new properties as well.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're gonna goto NYC... wait. PH NYC is opening soon. =)

If its beach you want; you can't really beat San Diego in my opinion. And look at what we have; PH Aviara =)

Also Andaz Maui is opening Spring 2013. So ... yeah.

9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think Andaz 5th Ave before either of those properties. (based on Hyatt's that exist today).

48 Lex has small rooms and is only Cat 4. I've stayed there, and it was fine, but I would not use a cat 6 free night there.

GHNY is Cat 6, but really doesn't deserve to be. I also wouldn't elect to use a free cat 6 night there unless there were other mitigating factors.

Perry .. is Kauai too far? That's one place I would not hesitate to use a free hyatt cc night in the USA.

-David

10. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Kauai it a little to far for a weekend trip for my wife at least ;) But Mexico is in striking distance.....

11. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip of PH Aviara. The property looks great. Sometimes San Diego area gets overlooked as a destination. The PH Aviara and one of the NY Hyatt's are definitely some great options.

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seattle, especially Olives. Good foodie city, as is Chicago (where the Park Hyatt is near some fine restaurants).

Andaz San Diego, but it becomes a loud party on weekends, so might not be what you want.

Would you enjoy mountain scenery in Colorado ski country? Fall in Aspen is lovely and not crowded.

I would say New Orleans for the food, but I'm not fond of their Hyatt or its location.

14. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking at doing something adventurous, I suggest the Hyatt Escala Lodge in Park City, UT. You can go skiing or do other summertime adventure activities in the area. There are also great restaurants idowntown. The property is a category 4, so it would be great for your annual free night, although during the winter when rates are astronomical for skiiers, Sundance, etc this property would be a good redemption value for your bonus offer nights too.

aptraveler and perryplatypus like this.
  15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    aptraveler, perryplatypus and edekba like this.
  16. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone your tips. I mentioned a few of the locations to Mrs Perryplatypus and she wants to go to them all :eek:

aptraveler, AAL, viguera and 2 others like this.
  18. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about the Park Hyatt in Washington DC or the Hyatt in Key West?

19. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just did a stay at the Andaz 5th Ave in NYC and loved it. We had a King XL View room overlooking the library on 5th. The location is really quite central and easy access to anything. We could see the Times Square ball that drops on New Years from our room too.

aptraveler, viguera and perryplatypus like this.
  20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    She sounds like me. How about Zurich? Dubai? Tokyo?

21. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP is requesting suggestions for the best use of Free Nights in the US. I presume your nights are not restricted in the category side? I would suggest (as others have) the Park Hyatt Chicago. It's central, smaller hotel, but not small on room space. As a correction, there 'is' a Hyatt property in Portland: Hyatt Place Portland Airport

What about suggestions for a Category 4 or below for those of us that earned the FREE NIGHT for renewal of the Chase Card? Anybody?

22. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Sorry should have stated downtown Portland, OR.

aptraveler likes this.
  23. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Park Hyatt Hamburg?
    or in the US, Hyatt Boston Harborside?

24. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would also highly recommend the Hyatt Regency New Orleans. I was there right after the Grand Opening. It's a bit of a trek to walk anywhere from the hotel, and the trams/transit is terrible, but the hotel is nice....nearly Grand Hyatt scale nice. The Regency Club is one of the best I've been to (Domestic US).

25. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    I thought of those to using it next year on MR to Tokyo but figured it would be nicer to use it on a weekend getaway that my wife could join me with :) She does have to put up with being a miles widow when I start to requalify next year.

aptraveler likes this.