Best use for family visiting California?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by alohastephen, Oct 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to plan a winter trip to San Francisco and/or Los Angeles this winter with my family.

Prefer a 1bedroom suite, nothing fancy, in an area with easy access to family Attractions.

Which property would be the most economical use of Marriott rewards points?

Thanks in advance!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about San Diego? Zoo, Sea World, historic downtown, ocean, navy ships, haunted historic hotel, LaJolla sea walk,....

alohastephen likes this.
  3. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    San Diego is also a consideration. Do you recommend a particular Marriott property good for a family of 4? We would really like a 1 bedroom with a sofa bed for the kids in the living room. Any opinion on SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway?

I'm hoping to find a category 4 or lower and stretch 80k points into 5 nights.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to search for 1 bedrooms at Marriot.com but each time I click on one it shows:
    "The room you requested is unavailable. Other rooms available on the requested dates for the requested hotel reward are listed below."

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spring Hill doesn't usually advertise their suites as 1 bedroom. But the rooms at that SHS all do have a sofa bed even though they aren't true one bedrooms. For that you need to go across the street to the Residence Inn, though that RI moved up to category 5 this year :(

The location is fine. A bit removed from the attractions though. A gas station and a couple of restaurants are a few steps away. Anything else you'll need to drive.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Residence Inn is my favourite point burning place because they are usually not cheap plus you earn half as many points than other brands. Do a search for RI in where you want to go and definitely go for those which are newly renovated.

alohastephen likes this.