Best use for 22.3 K orphaned Eurobonus points?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by LarryInNYC, Jun 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a friend with 22,300 Eurobonus points that will expire soon. Just wondering what the best use for them might be?

Options I see are:
    1. On SAS & related carriers, a couple of domestic round-trip award tickets within Scandinavia or one round-trip award between Scandinavian countries.
    2. On Star Alliance, a one-way award within a region (including within North America), or figure out how to come up with the other 2,700 points and get a round trip.
    3. On Star Alliance, a single segment upgrade (although I think these have to be from full Y fare, correct?)
    Any other clever uses anyone can figure out?

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA allows you to donate your mileage to charity. Maybe the Eurobonus program has that option somewhere?

3. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Just a question - where is you friend based country wise?

Br,
    Henrik

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here in the US, but has business in Stockholm and elsewhere in Scandinavia -- including hops among countries there -- four times a year or so.

5. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Given the situation I would say that option 1 where you use the points for an award in Scandinavia is the best option. But you could also suggest to spend it on a hotel night where the 22.000 points fit a night in a good average hotel:

http://www.flysas.com/en/eurobonus/spend-points/hotels1/book-award-hotel/

But the intra Nordic award is the best value IMHO.

Br,
    Henrik

6. dabee69

dabee69 Active Member

Status Points:
    I would particularly recommend OSL-LYR-OSL for two on 20000 points to a fantastic destination.

7. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will also support this one - this is a really good deal and a great destination (winter or summer).

Br,
    Henrik