Best Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TheInternationalLine, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TheInternationalLine
    Original Member

TheInternationalLine Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of years ago, we were upgraded to an overwater bungalow on a cash+points stay (4,000 + $60) at the Le Meridien Tahiti -- with lowly "plus" status and no prior stay. Needless to say, we reviewed them nicely. :) What other noteworthy SPG free upgrades have people received?

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing so far, but only one SPG stay to date (Westing Sendai, Japan). Great property with great staff, so I will definitely be staying at more Starwood hotels...

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too many to mention but the absolute best was at the Westin Palace in Madrid. Went with our son, daughter-in-law and grandchild. We had each used points to reserve Junior Suites. Ended up in a magnificent suite with an adjoining and connecting Junior Suite - basically a large, beautiful two bedroom apartment tho no kitchen. Overlooked the Plaza and the Prado with a large balcony. We were truly blown away.

In fact, the only European hotel that gave us not only no upgrade to a suite but a really crappy room was the Hotel Eden in Rome - very unimpressive.

4. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I've received "bigger" upgrades in terms of square footage and multiple room suites, I think my "best" upgrade was last year at the Westin Excelsior in Room. If you know the property, it was a one bedroom suite in the turret/tower overlooking the Via Veneta and the front entrance - I think the fourth floor, of six.

The bedroom was very nice and separate from the other rooms. The bathroom and living room were massive. The living room was 'round' as it was the turret/tower part. Marble fireplace (not working). Couches, chairs, dining area, work area, entertainment area. Everything in a turn of the century motif - albeit with some faux furnishings.

All of the 'double-door' windows - I think there were half a dozen - opened and swung out. Great views of the City, including the overlooking the entire US Embassy complex next door.

What a nice way to start a romantic escape with Mrs. Flews after a long, overnight light. The welcoming fruit basket and bottle of champagne didn't hurt either!

Cheers,

5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I want to check this place out. All my status to date have been average with no real amazing Presidential suite upgrades that I sometimes hear about. Maybe i need to book at home when they are heavily over booked for a chance.

6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's brand new (opened last year) but fairly empty when we went. They have a half price deal on at the moment, and the great nights and weekends (or whatever it's called) means you get double points +500 bonus for a weekend stay.

You can get a club room (on the top floor) for 17500 yen through April I think...

Breakfast was great too.

7. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think by they you mean every SPG hotel in Japan!

I shall endeavour to go there soon and maybe they will give me an amazing upgrade I can write home about.

8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. Didn't know that.

Although how many SPG hotels are there in Japan? Three? :p

I'll have to stay in some of them...

(what's your SPG status?)