Best transfer bonus with MR????

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by mileagejunqe, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a lot of miles with AA, UAL, USAir, BA, and some with DAL. I don't anticipate having the need for any additional miles for a trip in the near future. I recently got the 75K MR Gold Amex on the 2/29 offer. I have never really followed the MR bonus offerings. What are generally the best transfer bonus offers? I am pretty much going to be banking whatever miles I transfer in to for future use - not for any particular trip. TIA.

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the general train of thought with AMEX MR is you hold them until you are ready to book something or you need to top up your account.

BeachMiles likes this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year there were several 50% bonuses with Delta and BA. The DL one included some MQMs if you transferred at certain thresholds. I believe the one most did was >50k transferred got you a 50% bonus, including 25k MQMs, so 75k out of MR would get you 112,500 redeemable miles and 25k MQMs. That's a pretty darn good deal. I can't remember if 100k transferred got you 50k MQMs or if it was just the one 25k bonus.

However, It might be best to hang on to them in the MR program until you actually need them. Some interesting redemptions are out there but might not be possible if you transfer them to an airline immediately, like SQ first class, which you can only do through KrisFlyer for now.

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    The deal later in the year was 25K MQM fro 100K+ transfer. I am a little worried that this year we have not seen many bonuses apart from the 30% BA bonus.

autolycus likes this.
  5. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine keeping the Amex Gold card after one year and paying the fee. If I don't transfer the MR out before I cancel the card, what happens to the points? That's why I was thinking even if I'm not going to use them, when there is a real good transfer offer I should bank those points for future use.

6. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can my wife transfer MR into my sky miles account or does it have to go into hers? Sorry if this is slightly off subject.

autolycus likes this.
  7. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you applied on 2/29 you've got 11 1/2 months. Sometimes you have to wait for a better offer. Chill.

autolycus likes this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Officially, it has to go to hers. In practice, she can link your skymiles account to her MR account and transfer to there.

9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boo... I was hoping to get the 25k MQM for transferring my balance if the offer comes back, but I won't have 100k MR points for a while.

10. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 50% transfer bonus to British Airways that is going on now is a pretty good one, but no rush since it goes until 5/31.

ducster and autolycus like this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, that was technically for first time transfers to Delta accounts. I did it for myself and my wife. Hoping we'll see it again this year, and with no first-time language.

autolycus likes this.
  12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, there's no way to move MR points from one MR account to another, is there? With UR you can, and it's a nice feature.

daemon14 and autolycus like this.
  13. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is not currently a publicly-know way to transfer between MR accounts to consolidate the balance total.

14. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    And as we discuss there is a 50% bonus to BA. Extremely good for short domestic flights

autolycus likes this.
  15. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's also a (technically) 33% bonus on transferring MR points to SPG points. The normal transfer ratio is 3:1 but until 3/31 it's 2:1. This can be coupled with the US promo of 50% bonus for transferring hotel points and leverage SPG's automatic 25% bonus when transferring in chunks of 20K points. So, for example, you could move 40K of your MR points to SPG, which would give you 20K points there. Then transfer those to US, which would give you 25K DM. US would then give you 50% bonus on top of that, so you'd end up with 35.5K DMs, for an overall transfer ratio of 1:0.94. Not the greatest, but if you have a need to top of your US account, it's the only way to convert MR points (which you don't seem to want).

However, I'd just hang on the MRs for now, as they are flexible and transferrable to a number of programs, until you have a specific redemption in mind. I may actually do the above MR->SPG->US thing with 40K MRs to combine with the 20K SPG I already have and top of my US account with 75K for award redemption for later this year.

daemon14 likes this.
  16. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this. I was just on the amex site, but I somehow missed the BA bonus.