Best time to buy tickets?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by servo, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read all about the 6-8 week window being the best overall time, but I've also read that the trend is changing a little bit since there are more deals to be had these days than in the past (is that true?). Anyhow, I've got 3 trips planned upcoming, one one-way in December, and 2 RT's in March and April next year, and was wondering if it were possible (like you can on ebay) see what the average price paid for a route was. I'm just flying coach, so there's no need to get to a limited seat area. I've run numbers 6 weeks out from now, but that puts me close to holiday season, and makes me question whether the prices would be comparable. My trips are:

12/28/12 - MCO - SDF 2pm on US via CLT (much cheaper if I was able to leave early morning, but I cannot) - shows a price of $238 1way, which is about $80 higher than an earlier flight. Am I just SOL here or will that come down? The special for double miles ends at the end of next month, so I'm going to want to book before then anyhow.

3/7-10/13 - MCO - LAS - right now the AA flights I'm tracking on Yapta show $481 RT pp (8:55am MCO-MIA-LAS dep - 6am LAS-MIA-MCO return)

4/17-22/13 - MCO-SFO - I suspect based on current prices I might be able to snag a cheaper Virgin America flight direct (they're going for $179 right now), but it leaves rather late from MCO (6:55pm), and I'd rather get out ASAP. US has a codeshare with UA for a 6:55AM non-stop which would be our choice, but it's $540 each right now. It shows for mid-November at $449, but even that seems high.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    Faredetective looks like a great resource. Thx for sharing.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That helps a little bit, but the graph doesn't really tell me when to buy, though it tells me when the best months to fly to that destination are for cheaper fares.

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    How reliable is the site? I mean, it's got typos on the home page...

edekba likes this.