Best Summer Resort in Colorado

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by tomv, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be traveling to Colorado in early July for a 5 -7 night trip. Any suggestions for a nice hotel/resort? I appreciate your input!

2. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are you looking for nearby? Mountains? Hiking? Hot springs? Llama pack trip (sorry, that's one I would like to do...)? Fine dining?

One thing you might want to check wherever you go is if the area's suffering from beetle kill - some otherwise very nice resorts are a bit unaesthetic because of it, but there are lots that are unaffected.

tomv likes this.
  3. Ohana42
    Original Member

Ohana42 Active Member

Status Points:
    Denver, Colorado Springs, Vail, Durango...?

tomv likes this.
  4. vla
    Original Member

vla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you want to go deep into the high country (Aspen, Telluride, etc.) where you would be well-served by hopping a puddle jumper from Denver, I'd suggest renting a condo in Summit County (Frisco or Dillon) and using that as a base to explore Breckenridge (good valley floor biking around there) and Copper Mountain (good for downhill biking) with a short, atmospheric drive to Vail and Beaver Creek. Early July is a great time to visit, but bring sunscreen and something warm for the evenings. Despite the traffic, it's an easy drive up from Denver.

tomv and JasonH like this.
  5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Summer in our mountains here... excellent. It does depend on where you want to go and do. Vla has excellent suggestions. You might also look at Steamboat Springs. The hot springs are excellent and after sunset there is the clothing optional springs (if you are so inclined).

If you are a Stephen King aficionado you should head up to Estes Park and stay a night at the Stanley Hotel, the inspiration for and feature hotel of The Shining. It's also one of the most haunted places in the nation. It is a beautiful property and offers tours to non-guests if staying in a ghost hotel isn't your cup of tea.

I also like Colorado Springs. The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and the Cog Railway make it an amazing location. Not a lot of resort style hotels there outside of the Broadmoor.

sleepyintheair and tomv like this.
  6. remo80222
    Original Member

remo80222 Active Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Estes Park. You are right on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park for hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities. Also if you want to get up to the mountains consider Steamboat Springs. Aprox. 3 hours from Denver but great place to see in the summer.

tomv likes this.
  7. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great suggestions! For activities we are looking at hiking, scenic drives, off road jeep trip, maybe a raft trip. Also we will take in a concert at Red Rocks. To experience a little more of Colorado I wouldn't mind changing hotels/condos one time.

8. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any specific recommendations on Condos in Frisco or Dillon? The area looks great, but accomodations seem a bit out of date.

9. tomv
    Original Member

tomv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up on the beetle problem!

10. sleepyintheair
    Original Member

sleepyintheair Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good scope for scenic drives on the way up from Denver too - the highway through Nederland (72, up 93 then west on 72 or up 6-119-72) is quite pretty. Nederland's a cute place to stop for a snack.

11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out www.vrbo.com. We stayed in a place outside of Dillon that was great (it was the lower-story with the owners in the upper.

tomv likes this.
  12. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spent four months in Summit County and ran out of summer long before I ran out of things to do.

Check out Summit Resort Group. They own several of the buildings on Lake Dillon and serve as a management company for many privately-owned condos. Funny thing about summer rentals in Summit County is that the monthly rental for a furnished apartment is not much more than a weekly rental for the same apartment in the summer, and is usually lower than furnished apartment for a week in the winter.

Generally the closer you are to I-70 the easier it will be to get around. Dillon is going to be a little cheaper than Breck or Vail and about the same as Frisco and Silverthorne. Wildernest (above Silverthorne) is not a bad option, especially if you are looing for larger units. Nice thing about Dillon proper is the large number of units actually on the lake. Stay away from Dillon Valley (which is not actually in the town of Dillon) if possible; that's kind of the low-rent district.

vla and tomv like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs has a variety of facilities and restaurants on its property, including an indoor pool and spa, a lake with a swimming beach, very good golf courses, and a museum on the history of the hotel. A museum devoted to figure skating is very near.

However, it's a large hotel which, despite being legendary, would not be considered luxurious. Room quality varies and groups are accepted. IMO a rental car is necessary. Visit Pike's Peak, the Garden of the Gods, and the Air Force Academy campus. There's a small but pleasant art museum downtown.

A more luxurious choice--really a spa--would be Cordiellera, about an hour west of Vail

tomv likes this.