best starwood for 1-2 nights around LAX

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ClarkyBoy, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone has recommendations for 1-2 nights.

I see a fourpoints, sheraton and a westin.
    thanks!

ClarkyBoy

2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this topic may have been discussed here and on the "other" board. The Sheraton is the clear winner by most accounts. The Four Points has some haters, but I disagree. Four Points sometimes shows up on Starpicks, as well. Westin is a bit tired, but an absolutely excellent (IMO) Points & Cash redemption value. How about one night at the Four Points on whatever special, sub $90 rate you can find, and one night at the Westin on points and cash, and you'll have two stays under your belt very cheaply? Do you have SPG Elite status?

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, the GM of the Four Points posted this on TOB:

Current Business Travel

First Quarter 2012 - Double Starpoints 10% off BAR Rate plus Free Pint of Beer (in Brewster's SIPS Award winner for Best Regional Beer List in the US) and Breakfast Buffet. This is good for all Consortia and Corporate Accounts. Also, 24 Hour Check-In/Check Out available - tell us when you are coming (48 hours in advance) and we will have a room ready for you that you can keep 24 hours. Hit me up with questions. Phil GM

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sheraton is the best of the 3 properties, often cheap, category 2 on awards, can't be beat for LAX

5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the consensus from the plethora of posts on "the other board" was that the Sheraton Gateway LAX was usualy the "best overall". Several cited the club lounge (which Westin didn't use to have--altho' has an "Executive Lounge" now; and which 4P doesn't have) as one perk, and that when closed, Plats get vouchers for free app's from the bar (evening) and free breakfast buffet in the restaurant (morning)....an important perk if rates for all 3 were similar. The 4P does leave a welcome "gift" of a semi-personalized note and a fruit/cookies plate waiting in the room for its Platinum guests, which many (myself included) thought was a nice thing. The 4P has also done a lot of rennovations of its rooms, and they are DEFINiTELY an improvement over what was there before. I think with the recent rennovations at the 4p, and the tiredness of the Westin, if there's substantial differences in rates for the nights desired, I'd say go with whatever is cheapest. Many used to like the Sheraton Gateway LAX because they used to have their own airport shuttle with frequent service, and it's much closer to the terminals than the 4P or the Westin. Now, it's a shuttle shared with other properties and isn't as frequent nor as quick, but no better/worse than the shared shuttles for other hotels.

Is parking important?
    Corporate rates with the Sheraton Gateway have often included free valet parking (need your company SET code for it), and/or free all-day in-out self-parking at the 4P. In coming to LAX numerous times, I've never seen any inspiring parking deals with the Westin, altho' once I did get free parking and was told it was a Platinum benefit.

6. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    great answers, thanks all.
    I need to go put all my FF/LP on my signiture....realized i was asking a question without giving all the details.
    good to go!
    ClarkyBoy

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sheraton has free internet for those who aren't Platinum, and free bottles of water in the room.

8. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having spent nights at all the SPG LAX properties. My choice (in order) is Westin, Sheraton, 4 points.

Westin has the best bed and pillows and the rooms are pretty big and starbucks coffee in the room is a plus. Its an amazing value if you are using points! Self Parking is in a structure attached to the building and has easy elevator access to the lobby. No real bar or lobby scene but excellent for a comfy bed and room.

Sheraton Gateway: Design is much cooler with a grey and red theme. Sheraton bed pillows are sheets are lousy and the beds are so-so. Amenties are the same as Westin but I don't recall a coffee maker? Lobby and bar are always busy. Self parking is awful as it is in a remote lot behind the building . Good choice if you want a lively lobby scene.

4 points: Tiny rooms. Bed about the same as Sheraton. Bathroom looks generic. Bar and lobby are busy and bar had beers from around the world which is fun. Pool is super tiny. Self parking is behind the building...again a little remote. Casual place with so-so rooms and comfort. Note: Walls are thin so you can hear your neighbors and hallway action.

I am only SPG gold but have gotten upgrades at both the Westin and Sheraton. I cant imagine the lounges are anything special as I have had access to the Hilton Lax's lounge and it was not impressive ( Although the hotel is on par with both the Westin and Sheraton).

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing for future reference is that the Four Points owns their own parking, so they can sometimes offer flexibility with parking-included rates that the others may not be able to.

Skye1 likes this.
  10. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    I guess it wouldn't be fair for me to recommend my own hotel. Reading through the thread I think everyone is spot on maybe with the exception of the pool here being tiny. We have a large pool with almost no shade - its heated year-round and in the summer we have a resort-style pool bar with six local beers on tap.

Speaking from the viewpoint of the Starwood elite members that use the Four Points over the the Westin and the Sheraton... I would say they stay because the staff is friendly, cheerful and remembers them. They like the cookies, maybe with exception of the oatmeal (which I really like). We do have Brewster's which recently won the SIPS Award for Best Regional Beer List in the US http://www.rmgtmagazine.com/beer-pubs/sips-awards-winners and has 17 flat screen TVs, great burgers and AWESOME fish tacos. We're the only one of the three with the 24 Hour Check-In/Check-Out option (Westin was trying it but didn't move forward) - essentially tell us when you're coming 48 hours plus in advance and you can keep the room for 24 hours.

The only "hint" I would offer is that you make sure you get a West Tower room. You can email me or Tweet me @FourPointsLAX and I'll make sure you get a preferred room.

Lastly, I've been doing this a long time and I know there is value in saying "My Buddy Phil is the GM".

Best for the New Year,

Phil GM

flyer_o, Emos-closet and mommypoints like this.
  11. Emos-closet
    Original Member

Emos-closet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am going to give Four Points another try and drop your name. Thanks!

12. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    Thank You! Feel free to let me know when you are coming so I can make sure we have the red carpet rolled out. Twitter - @FourPointsLAX
    Best, Phil

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phil's post (shameless plug? :D ) for the 4P does remind me that, yes, whilst staff can be hit/miss at the Sheraton and and Westin, the staff at the 4P are consistently friendly, cheerful, always a smile.

And yes, Phil would be the one that the note is from that sits on your table next to the cookies when you're a Plat landing in your room.

14. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    Really appreciate the comment! My theory is that happiness is contageous and in the end it makes the Hotel "feel good". Best, Phil GM

Skye1 likes this.
  15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is scary. When I think of some of the fine hotels I have been to where the GM is remote and uncaring, I have to imagine that Phil is not long for the 4P LAX! Seriously - very impressive.

garyst16 likes this.
  16. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Thanks.

17. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to suggest a stay at the Sheraton. They treat Platinum and Gold members very well.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For one night, especially if you're arriving too late to use the lounge, try the Four Points especially if it's cheaper. For longer, it's nice to be in a full service property with a real restaurant on the premises, etc.

19. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the recommendation. Really appreciated! Based on feedback here, I'm adding a complimentary hot breakfast buffet OR an F&B credit as an additional Platinum "amenity" so you guys don't miss the lounge too much. Also we are 567 rooms and full sevice (unusual for a Four Points). Brewster's is a good option (if you're staying here or not) for beer, sports, burgers/fish tacos/etc. See the award for Best Regional Beer List in the US...
    http://www.rmgtmagazine.com/beer-pubs/sips-awards-winners If you are ever around on the second Friday of the month we always have our Beer Appreciation Nights starting at 6:30 pm. Tomorrow night is New Years! New Beers!
    Best, Phil

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Phil -
    We're in a Palm Springs timeshare from 3/9 - 3/15 - staying at LAX the last night as we have an early flight home from LAX. What I really care about is ease getting to the airport in the morning for a 9 AM flight. After your involvement here, I would love to stay at your place - is it the most convenient for me or, at least, convenient enough? Thanks!

21. PHILFPLAXGM

PHILFPLAXGM Member

Status Points:
    All of the major LAX hotels use one shuttle system that we put in place a few years ago to cut down on emissions (probably 50% good global citizens and 50% LAX twisting our arms). We (Four Points) share a shuttle with the Westin. The way the route works, the shuttle goes from the airport to the Westin to the Four Points back to LAX. From a convenience standpoint it is a quick direct trip to the airport in the morning. I really appreciate your business and please feel free to PM me with your confirmation number so I can be sure we take great care of you. Phil