Best Star Alliance carrier SFO-TLV?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Lipman, Jun 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lipman

Lipman Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll be flying SFO-TLV in economy, and my possibilities include Continental through EWR, Air Canada through YYZ, or US Air through PHL. (Yes there are other Star Alliance options but they mostly get into TLV godawful early in the morning.) Anyway, of those three, which should I choose? I kind of assume Air Canada because non-US airlines are usually better than US ones...

ducster likes this.
  2. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Routing and flight numbers you are looking at would be helpful. Aircraft type will likely play in also.
    • The Air Canada routing appears to be on an Airbus 319 and a Boeing 767. Nothing special about the seats in economy other they have AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) which is a huge plus in my opinion.
    • The United/Continental routing appears to be on a United 757 and a Continental 777. Again, seats are nothing special on either flight, but the entertainment is worse (SFO-EWR does not have on demand or individual movies, but instead has video monitors mounted in the cabin).
    • US Airways appears routing appears to be on an Airbus 321 and Airbus 330. If I'm reading it right, US Airways does not have in flight entertainment on their domestic flights any more so you're totally on your own. Their seat does have one extra inch of pitch though so it may be an acceptable tradeoff. The international segment appears to be comparable to the others.
    Everything else being equal, I would choose the Air Canada routing.

milchap likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember to consider the customs and immigration formalities and possible terminal transfers if you connect through Canada. Also, depending on your nationality, you might need a Canadian visa as well as one from Israel.

4. kupman

kupman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had my first CO return flight LAX-TLV (through EWR) in economy. The domestic legs of the trip were as bad as expected, no complaints here. The EWR-TLV-EWR flights were the worst flights I've ever had. Try to imagine hell and now multiply it by 12 hours (each direction). The seats were uncomfortable, the food was terrible, the IFE was dull and the service was just awful - old and grumpy flight attendants that it was clear that they couldn't care less about the passengers.
    AC has a much better product on the YYZ-TLV route, and I would choose AC over CO anytime

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO's AVOD is very good on it's 777 IMO - lots of choices.

It is a long flight from EWR though, recommend using miles/co pay and upgrade to BusinessFirst

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take UA SFO-IAD-FRA then hop on an LH, and gets you to tlv at 15:00. 21 hrs total travel.

7. Lipman

Lipman Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips. As it happens the CO flights best meet my time requirements, so I'll give them a try and see what happens.

8. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, Lipman. Have a great trip to the Holy Land!

9. Dean

Dean Active Member

Status Points:
    Lipman, if you get this, let us know how you made out on your trip to TLV. I 've done the route and would have offered my opinions earlier but just recently joined milepoint. Be interested to know how you made out.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. :)

11. Lipman

Lipman Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi Dean - I ended up going with Continental. It was perfectly adequate -- nothing I can complain about, but nothing to be excited about (in coach, anyway). Next time I think I'd go with Air Canada just for variety's sake.

12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO is a good solid middle option. I would have taken AC, but then I just love them and consider them superior to all US airlines.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The important thing is not to fly El Al.

ande777emt and mowogo like this.
  14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing at they are not a member of *A, that disqualifies them already ;)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It never hurts to have extra reasons not to fly some airline.

16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though if you are not careful, you come up with enough reasons to never fly again :p

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but I was thinking more of, for example, when your employer wants you to fly some particular carrier that you don't want to use.:)