Best SPG Redemption - 100,000 points

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by thephilipj, Jun 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thephilipj

thephilipj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've acquired 100,000 spg points, and I'm curious to hear what the MP community thinks would be the best redemption for those points!?

My only preference is that I redeem these points outside of the US. I have some ideas such as the nights and flights promotion, with a cat 4 hotel, or transferring the points to AA for a business class fare to SE Asia, but I am not sold on either of those ideas. So, what ideas do you have?

2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't sound like this is what you are after, but I spent 100K points on 6 nights at the St. Regis in Punta Mita this past January, and got a $4300/night villa on the beach. That was a free upgrade as a Starwood Gold. I just asked if we could have one and they said yes!

Counsellor and thephilipj like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's more important to you: a redemption that would've cost the most to purchase, or a flashy luxurious location?
    I like the nights & flights promo, but not so much the transfer to AA option.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This depends on your personal preferred vacation style, as well as what other resources you have available, and how many others, if any, would be travelling with you.

You can do any of the following:
    Fly almost anywhere in first or business class.
    Stay 5 nights in a Cat6
    Stay a while in a cat6/7 with cash/points
    Stay longer in lower category hotels and maybe transfer some to airlines as well...

Where do you want to go, and what do you want to do? Heck, what sort of things do you enjoy in general?

Personally I tend to most commonly spend my starpoints as cash and points for 1-3 night stays in places I want to visit or at ski resorts.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nights and flights is one of the very best options (IMO) for people without a ton of points laying around. Being able to get a chunk of miles to book the tickets you want and also get a reasonable hotel thrown in makes this award a great value.

Setting that aside, some of my favorite SPG properties internationally are the Hotel Danieli in Venice and the St. Regis in Rome. 100,000 points would earn you a nice vacation at either.

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually use P&C for redemptions but when I went to Australia I spent a week in Perth and a week in Sydney (Westin) for about 70k full redemptions, not P&C -you can use remainder for domestic flight. Australia is a great country to visit IMO

Counsellor and MX like this.
  7. thephilipj

thephilipj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brucewil, thank you for your comment. Punta Mita looks nice, maybe I will be able to try it out another time. I will remember to ask for an upgrade, doesn't hurt to ask right?

8. thephilipj

thephilipj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I am more interested in a redemption that would have cost the most to purchase. I was thinking AA, because from what I've seen, it costs the least amount to get to SE Asia from WAS in business (hopefully on Cathay)... At 6' tall, economy for 23 hours would not be too enjoyable.

MX likes this.
  9. thephilipj

thephilipj Silver Member

Status Points:

Mattsteg - your input is the same input my roommate gave me. It's great advice, but I live with the guy, and he already reached the "you're right" limit for the month.

I've thought about this during the weekend. The desired trip would be: 2 people, SE Asia (never been), 10-14 days long, 2-3 cities (I'm thinking NRT or HKG and BKK/HKT or DPS). I'm not sold on the Nights and Flights. Though the point redemption value is good... the SPG Cat 4 hotels have mediocre reviews for the region (HKT/DPS), I can pay for cheaper/nicer hotels in the same locations, and sitting down for 5 days on a beach would be difficult for me to do when I want to explore other cities (If I did, HKT would be the best option, since I could sail around to other islands, and I think there's more to do in that region).

I'm limited on points (8k AA, 108k spg, 5k UR). I may be able to do a 2 browser cc churn in the next few months, if needed.

What things interest me? Snowboarding, sailing, good food, meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, adventure, and good beer.

PROST

10. thephilipj

thephilipj Silver Member

Status Points:

Pizzaman, thanks for your advice! I will be carb overloading in Italy this September after Oktoberfest. I had a cash/point reservation at the Danieli, but cancelled it so I could get a better room at the 4 points sheraton munich central. The best hotel for a short stumble home from the Wiesen.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No worries. Let me know if you need further advice. I saw your note about NRT above. In case it helps, I've pasted a link to my review for the Sheraton Miyako below:

http://pizzainmotion.com/2012/05/06/41-hours-in-tokyo-sheraton-miyako-hotel/

12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case, you should avoid heavily promoted locations. There are top notch or historic SPG hotels in lesser known places that are only cat. 3 or 4, yet their rack rates would be in the $300-450+ range. As far as AA miles, consider accumulating them from credit cards, or as US Air miles. Unless you're in a rush, that would give you better value, than you'd get from transferring SPG points.

13. Daywalkerr

Daywalkerr Active Member

Status Points:
    with 100,000 points you can fly business class almost anywhere. Transferring via SPG you will only use 75,000 points for business class. That a good deal among the two you mentioned. If you want to use it for a complete trip then coach is in your future and you will save 10,000 You get a free breakfast at the Elements