Best SPG hotel in hawaii?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by whkwon10, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. whkwon10

whkwon10 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi

Im planning winter break at hawaii with spg points.

Which hotel is the best for family vacation?

Maui or Kona?

AAL, marcwint55, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on your family. Kona is great for exploring, hiking, nature, etc. Maui is definitely a beach spot, the "typical" Hawaii vacation. Both have great snorkeling and fishing excursions.

I'm interested in hearing member's feedback on the Sheraton vs. the Westin on Kaanapali. I've booked the Sheraton on points (+ Suite Night upgrades), but would consider switching to the Westin if it's significantly different. The Sheraton seemed to have more options all around, vs. the Westin being exactly what you'd expect from a Westin resort - the more "adult," spa experience. Feel free to correct my perceptions if I'm wrong.

3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mike, the Sheraton is great. I haven't stayed at the Westin, so I can't compare...but you won't be disappointed with Sheraton.

AAL, marcwint55 and flyingdawg like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big fan of the Westin in Kaanapali. I have not stayed at an SPG in Kona, but I have stayed at every SPG in Maui and I think the Westin is fantastic.

AAL likes this.
  5. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't speak for the Westin, but I have stayed at Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach as well as Sheraton on KOA. Some people think the KOA property needs an uplift. I didn't have any issues with the place and actually enjoy my time there. Maui property is larger and actually has a beach and access to the rest of the Kaanapali Beach properties. There I had an "ocean front" room, but it was in the building up "on the hill" and was a bit of a walk to get down to the pool area and the beach. But, it was also quiet up there and the whales would migrate through right up to the shore line at the time of year I was there as well as further out at certain times of the day. It was cool. If you prefer to have easy access to both the pool and an actual beach, the Maui properties are probably better for that. And then, there's Whaler's village Mall for the shoppers in the family;), within an easy enough walking distance. There is also a mall not too far from the KOA property with a movie theater. Golf courses close enough to either properties as well as the Westin on KB.

AAL likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I'm definitely more of a fan of the Hilton properties on the big Island. Never been to Kauai - just O'ahu, Hawai'i and Maui. Hilton Waikaloa Village is great.

Good to hear. Dropped 80K points + the suite upgrades for a stay there next year. Coupled with the IcelandAir/Alaska deal, just couldn't pass it up. Wife's birthday, too... last year we did Amsterdam on her birthday. I'm going to spoil her, I swear!

Any 'insider tips' on the property, amenities, rooms, etc?

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also the Westin Ka'anapali Villas just up the road from the Westin and Sheraton.

The Sheraton Keauhou has just completed a "renewal" that claims to have included the addition of 10 suites (bringing the total to 24). But it doesn't have a sand beach, if that's what you want.

For the purpose of making your own comparisons, the hotel-branded websites are much more informative than most of the main Starwood-branded websites for Starwood's Hawaiian properties. Follow the link above and then use the "Select A Property" navigation menu at the top right of the website.

8. whkwon10

whkwon10 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all recommendations!

I'd choose the Westin at Maui. If it is not available, I'll choose Hilton at KONA for 120K HH points.
    Thanks again!

9. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered the St. Regis on Kauai? Kauai is our favorite island, and we have visited several times. The sunset view from the St. Regis is one of the best sunset views I've ever seen.

whkwon10 likes this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have kids? Try the Westin Villas in Maui. The St. Regis is great but not kid-friendly so much. The Big Island is awesome (what kid doesn't want to see a real volcano?). The Sheraton has been a bit sketchy in the past, but they have recently completed a renovation and it has hopefully improved. The poll there is kid-awesome.

11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    DO NOT GO THERE WITH KIDS, or if you do, please contact me for my calendar of upcoming stays.:rolleyes:

Scottrick likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The birds in the tree near the lobby are frickin' loud.

13. eurobear

eurobear Active Member

Status Points:
    completely in love with the waterslide at the non-villa westin in maui

but since the title of this post read
    Best SPG hotel in hawaii?

ill have to say the St. Regis on Kauai....