Best Skyteam Program for AF & KE F Awards

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by Rejuvenated, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Till today I still have not registered for any programs with Skyteam and I've been banging my head on the nail for those mileages I've allowed to go down the drain from those AF and KE sectors I did the past four years. Nonetheless I'm not going to allow the bleeding to continue as I have another KE trip (in prestige class) in Feb. Which program do you believe I should enroll in to deposit my mileages that will enable me to accumulate points for a F award with AF and/or KE in the future? I've been told that DL's program isn't going to get me those awards so unless someone else tells me otherwise, skymiles will not be an option. Thanks! :)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely do NOT go with DL for this. You CANNOT use DL miles for any SkyTeam IFC award.

Before deciding, you should compare the KE blackout dates that apply to KE FFers for award tickets and upgrades on KE to those blackout dates that AF imposes on members using AF miles for awards and upgrades on KE.

Either program will give premium cabin passengers lounge access, elite lines, etc. AF eliteness might enable you to get a few free domestic upgrades on DL.

You need to compare earning miles, award charts, and the award booking websites for AF and KE as well as getting an idea of fees on award tickets.

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    being a KE/AF elite will also give you access to domestic Skyclubs. However it takes a good amount of flying to accumulate enough miles for F award.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being SkyTeam Elite Plus, including as a DL GM, PM, or DM, gives you access to all SkyTeam lounges when traveling SkyTeam internationally. AF and KE elites cannot use SCs on that basis with a domestic ticket.

Rejuvenated and kyunbit like this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you redeem KE miles for AF F? My understanding is that only FB elites can redeem for AF F and at exorbitant mileage rates (flex awards). Not sure if AF lets you redeem for KE F. CZ's new F product on the A380 looks like it might be worth redeeming for, too, so that's another thing to explore when choosing.

Rejuvenated likes this.
  7. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I encountered a past thread that states redeeming skyteam F awards outside of that airline's own FF program is next to impossible: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/flying-blue-for-first-class-on-korean-air.24822/

So unless anyone else says so, I guess there isn't going to be one single program that will enable me to collect points and redeem F for both AF & KE. At the end, I've decided and signed up for Flying Blue. My KE flights this month does not fall under any of mileage accruable blackout dates so I'll be able to collect the points. Looks like I will still have to achieve silver status (25,000 status miles which isn't difficult to attain) to be able to redeem an AF F ticket.

Thanks for everyone's help.

8. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    There are no F Award redemptions within SkyTeam.

KE F Award are only available to the members of KE's own FFP, just like AF F Award are available only to the FB members.

Rejuvenated likes this.