Best SIM/Chip/Plan for Short Visits to US

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Espan, Dec 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spend perhaps 20-30 days per year in the US via a series of multiple trips. To this point the AT&T GoPhone $2 unlimited daily use, w/ supplemental Wi-Fi where I could grab it has worked fine, but I think I'd like to have all: talk, message and data available at all times on the phone.

Any opinions on the best options?

2. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look at t-mobile for $100.00 the time will last a year.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have t-m, but it is only voice. No data

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    T-Mobile pre-paid or pay-as-you-go plans are described here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans. $2 per day unlimited everything with 2G data, $3 per day upgrades to 200MB of 4G data. You can also add data to the $100 valid a year voice plan on daily, weekly or monthly basis. Decent coverage in urban areas; not so much outside of those.

gaijin62 and Paolo Scuri like this.
  5. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really useful information for me. .
    A few years ago when I still lived in America I used T-Mobile pre-paid, but didn't know they offered data with their plans as well. Now, I travel to the US only 1-2 times a year and this plan with data makes sense for me.

Thank you.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I meant the $100/yr plan was voice only. When I asked at the tmobile store they told me I couldn't add data, but that may have changed.

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $100 you use to fund "pay as you go" account for a year can only be used for voice or text, but you can purchase a data pass for "occasional use" on your account. Or, use "pay by day" option; it includes either unlimited 2G or unlimited 2G + 200MB 3G data.

Though...it might be worth checking with T-Mobile for confirmation.

8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out Roam Mobility if it's an option for you.

Thanks to outrageous roaming fees charged by our Canadian carriers. Roam Mobility came out as an excellent option when heading down south.

You can keep your number and activate your plan whenever you need it. They use T-mos network.

Their Talk Text Data is 3.95 for one day, unlimited calls, text, 300 mb data. 7 days is 27.95 for 2GB data. http://www.roammobility.com/talk-text-data

blackjack-21 likes this.