Best SFO Chinese Restaurants - high end options

Discussion in 'California' started by Gaucho, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive been searching for the best eateries for Chinese in other US Cities, but Ive decided I want to have a high-end Chinese meal and SFO is my city of choice to do this.... where would the local experts suggest I have this...???

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

thrashsoundly likes this.
  2. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in this too. I've had great Thai, Indian, and south-east Asian cuisine in SF, but haven't found a go to Chinese place yet.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your favorite Indian...?

4. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    With regard to Chinese food my two favorites are Yank Sing and Ton Kiang. They are also both great for dim sum. Gaucho if what you mean by "high end" is a much more formal, elegant restaurant you might want to try Tommy Toy's.

pearl girl likes this.
  5. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    With regard to Indian food in SF probably Amber. If you are in Marin there is a great family run restaurant Avatar's.

pearl girl likes this.
  6. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard great things about Yank Sing and can't wait to find out when I visit SF in July.

That said, I don't associate dim sum with high-end Chinese. Delicious food I eat as much as can, yes. But when I read high-end Chinese, I think more of shark fin, etc.

Alex, to maybe help SF locals, what are you thinking of when you say high-end? Anything so long as it is well prepared? Or, more narrow items like the banquet classics?

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely go to Yank Sing. But I can't help you with the "high end" options specifically.

8. pearl girl
    Original Member

pearl girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fiji is right Yank Sing has both excellent Chinese food and dim sum.

9. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have always liked the R&G Lounge on Kearny St. in the past.

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jai Yun - reservation only. fixed menu - no choices except amount you want to spend (IIRC 45-85), better the more people (get more dishes). Not great setting but food is great - a few years ago had a FT dinner there. Not like any other Chinese restaurant, more like the French Laundry - well except for the service and setting and cost :D, multiple small servings of exceptionally prepared food

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't rate it higher than a "very good" at its best. But then, I felt the same way about R&G Lounge. The best Asian restaurants tend not to be Chinese, IM(nsh)O. Some of the best Chinese food I've eaten in the area was at a banquet in Millbrae. (FYI, Millbrae is right near SFO and has several options).

If you have specific dishes or regions or styles you like, you will be well-served posting on Chowhound in the SF board, with specifics of what you are looking for.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For excellent Chinese in the US I do not think of SFO. You'd think they'd have excellent options but it is mostly quite mediocre. NYC has better, as does the Washington, DC area. Even Miami has Tropical Chinese, as unlikely an excellent Chinese as there is, but it is for dim sum on Sundays.

Japanese is another story, as is Vietnamese. There the SFO area has many good choices.

During several years living in SFO I went to NYC for Chinese. I gave up on SFO in that respect and concentrated on thing many things they do very well indeed.. Berkeley has more than Alice Waters and there are a plethora of small good places of a wide number of ethnicities there. I am not current enough with the rapidly changing options there to make specific recommendations.